Homesick

Mystique

Of course it was likely I'd become homesick. You can't just leave everything behind (literally) and expect someone to cope with it positively. I just want to go back to Pennsylvania. I just want to go back to my friends.

The company cab picks me up for school. I now go to school at The Celia Cruz Bronx High School of Music. I will not interact with anyone or even try to make a friend. I stand in an office waiting for my schedule. There's a lot of gum snapping from the lady behind the desk. I just want to leave.
"What a shitty school?" I half mumble.
She barks, "What was that In?"
In is my last name and it's just In. Mystique In.
"Nothing. Is my schedule ready?"
She mimics my voice. A bitch from the start type of person. She's groaning and complaining about the printer jamming. Ink starts squirting out landing on her. I hold in my laugh. Serves her right. The person next to me laughs loud enough purposely for her to hear.
She grinds her teeth. "Shouldn't you be in class?"
He answers back immediately, "Just because I should be doesn't mean I have to be there. Besides I'm waiting for my mom to come by with my book bag."
"You'll have to wait for your schedule In," she's say but is still looking at him.
He turns and stares at me. "In?"
I explain, "It's Mystique In. My last name is just In. Nothing else."
"Weird name" he adds.
"Says the one who forgot his book bag" I joke.
"These things happen it's no biggy. The school knows my reputation. And soon you will too."
"Don't count on it" I utter.
I get my schedule ten minutes later. His mom gives him his book bag around the same time. I stand in the hallway trying to find my classroom. I can tell he's checking my schedule over my shoulder.
"We're in the same class. Cool. Guess I should introduce myself. I'm Damian."
I try to ignore him.
"Come on In you don't have to be rude. I'm no creeper. You're new I've been here for two years I can show you around and tell you about-"
"Don't call me In" I threaten. "And I don't need you as my tour guide."
He follows me. Doesn't seem to understand what I'm trying to say, has left his book bag at home must be one of those people who are just careless and hard headed. I won't assume that's what he is right away but his actions don't deny much of what I think.
I don't want to be here. More than anything I just want to be with my friends. If I call the company cab to take me home my parents will know I skipped school.
"So where are you from?"
"That isn't of your business" I answer.
"Yeah but we're peers we can get those little details about each other."
I roll my eyes at peers. More than anything I did not want to be peers with him. Let alone give him the little details of my life.
He takes hold of my wrist and is dragging me to the main entrance. I'm not even going against him. I don't really care what happens. I just want to go back to my friends. Can't they understand I miss them so much? I shouldn't have to say it, it was eight years of friendship I'm far too attached to them. Far too attached to not be sad.
I miss them so much.
Damian pulls me through the busy people of the streets. I wish I could find enough strength to reject him. We stop in front of an ice cream shop.
"I really need to get back to school" I utter.
"Nah you could use some ice cream."
It's nine thirty in the morning and I make plans to eat ice cream. Damian offers to buy me a banana split. While my order is in the making I look around the shop. I see the schedule for opening. They should be closed right now. Why would they be open so early and serve us ice cream?
"One banana split for In. It's cold and ready to give you a brain freeze." We seat in the high stools near the window. The ice cream shop is around the same size of IHOP.
I ask, "Why did you bring me here?"
He shrugs. My first taste of the ice cream gives me an immediate brain freeze. Damian laughs and eats his as if it's not seven degrees. It is pretty good that's one thing for sure.
"You're homesick?"
"How you'd know?" I say as I eat more of the ice cream.
"I don't know I guess it's obvious. You're like ice cream or maybe Namib," he brags.
He compared me to ice cream and a desert. Neither of them made sense. I continue to eat my split. Such a waste of time. I should have gone to class not eating ice cream with this-this- I can't even find words to describe him.
"It's okay to miss your home. You're a junior. You got a short time here and then you can go back to your home."
I'm angry at what he says to me. Like he'd know something. I don't see him talking about leaving his home and friends. Just leaving everything to collect dust. To be cleaned up by someone who's not you. He's not mentioning one thing like that. What a bastard?
I slam his head in his Sundae.