Dream

I couldn't see nothing.

It was absolute darkness and fear grappled at me. It was as if I knew what was to come but my mind just couldn't seem to place it at this moment. I just knew something was terribly wrong. I could hear a familiar hoarse breathing by my ear and I reached out, only to feel thin air. I was waving frantically to find him but all I could see was nothing, all I could feel was nothing. 

The next moment I knew I was back in my room, with a strangled voice tearing through my eardrums mercilessly. Regaining my senses, I realised that it came from me. The room lights flickered on and Mom and Dad were at the doors, Mom in tears at her distraught daughter. At that instant, I felt so sorry that they had to deal with me. I was sick of dealing with myself too. For god's sake, I was 20 and I couldn't even remember exactly why but a year ago, I lost one of my dearest friend and more. To make things worse, I get dreams like this. To think the last time was over a month ago and I thought I had overcame it.

"Mom, Dad, I'm fine don't worry about me. It's nothing new, just go back to sleep."

"Are you sure sweetheart? We can keep you company or call Mrs Spencer if..."

"NO- I mean no, it's alright, I'm really tired and classes start at 9AM tomorrow. I'll swing by Mrs Spencer after class if I really need to. You guys can go ahead and rest."

"Okay... If you're sure. If you need anything, anything at all, we'll just be-"

"right round the corner and always here for you. Yes Mom. Dad, just take Mom back I swear I'm going to fall right back asleep soon"

"Goodnight baby girl"

Sleep did not come like I claimed. I was honest when I said I was tired, but my mind just couldn't shut itself from working and the endless questions of my dream. Mrs Spencer said it would all come back naturally and forcing myself to recall was not a solution but I just couldn't help thinking... what could possibly have happened that caused me to forget. My best friend, Jace, and his sister I lost them both at once. And the worst thing was that I didn't even know why.