Count the Stars [00]

The laughing died down as the bus came to a stop. Running towards the school, I got in before anyone else.

"Miss Stone! No running, unless outside."

"I was running outside."

"You were running into the school, which counts as running insi- Evan! No running in front of the buses!"

I took that as my cue to leave, letting the principal handle Evan. Mr Hess glared as I walked back inside, but grabbed Evan by his sleeve and pulled him into his office.

Slightly embarrassed, I walked to my class before the teacher arrived. By the time I sat down, Evan was already in his seat.

I mouthed to him, 'Why are you not in the princapal's office?'

He shrugged, then gave me a small smile, barely reaching his eyes.

For the rest of first period, me and Evan exchanged notes and small talk.

"Class, don't forget we have a test on formulas tomorrow, have a good rest of the day."

With that, the bell rang, leaving me 5 minutes to put my books and binder in my locker, and walk, or should I say run, to the other side of the school and change into my P.E. clothes.

This is why I hate middle school. At least it was my last couple of weeks here.

Evan knew I was moving, but I didn't know if he knew I was moving so soon. I sighed and grabbed my stuff and walked out of class. My locker was right next to the class, so I got my books with 3 minutes left to get to class.

I was practically running down the hall trying to get there in time.

"Elliot!" I heard my name being called, turning around to see Evan walking towards me.

"What do you want?" I questioned, annoyed that he had to stop me in the middle of the hallway.

"Nothing.. I just wanted to walk with you to P.E."

"What? You don't have P.E in second period. You don't even have P.E." I said, laughing to myself as he secretly wanted to talk to me about something. "Evan, what do you really want?" He looked at the ground before looking at me as we walked.

"Well.. I know you hate bets and all that.. but-"

"This better not be some stupid bet." I interrupted, annoyed.

"It's not! Believe me. I know you're moving in a month and I thought we could make a fun bet before you move.." He said, emphasizing the 'fun'.

I sighed and looked him in the eyes. He looked like he was begging me to do it, so sadly, I gave in.

"Fine. What's the bet?" I asked, looking at him curiously. His eyes widened at my response, surprised that I actually said okay. He then smirked and shook his head, smiling.

"Let's just say this. If you count all of the stars in the sky, I will have 'loser' written on my forehead for a week." He said. My mouth dropped open.

"What the hell? How am I supposed to count all the stars in the sky? It's impossible." I said back, confused by his bet.

"Um.. I don't know. You have to figure that out. I'll give you the rest of the month to do so. You know, when you move. Deal?" He asked, smiling at my confused face.

"Fine. Deal." He grabbed my hand and shook on it, leaving me to realize we haven't been walking as we talked. I had one minute to change for P.E. "Thanks a lot, jerk face. Now I'm going to be late for P.E." I snapped at him.