The Second First Day

City lights winked down at the Mercedes and its inhabitants as if they were welcoming them to their new home. The crisp, night air was a refreshing change as it gently swayed the golden sea that whipped the already pink cheeks. A breath was given, inhaling the sweet, intoxicating winds of change.

Four hours.

That's how long it had taken to get here; to step foot into the current that Emma Swan had so long desired. Patience was not something pumping within her veins, but the new anxiety that beat her heart an unsteady beat, taking her in its grip as they pulled into the smoothly paved lot of their new home.

The building was like most others within the city: posh with a generous number of windows and a certain modern charm. It was far from the rundown apartment that Graham had, and judging by the few pictures that Emma had glanced at prior, it certainly showed the money that went into it. The complex was one of many in a small community on the outskirts of downtown.

"Are you ready to take a tour of our new home, dear?" Regina sounded beside her, the Benz pulling into an empty spot close to the entrance.

The blonde glanced over to her lover for but a moment, her stomach's butterflies reviving as they fluttered around anxiously. "Yeah."

"Let's go, then." The brunette looked just as excited as she hopped out of the car, moving quickly to the backseat of the vehicle to retrieve her overnight bag. Emma followed suit just as her friends pulled up beside them.

The blonde bounced over to greet the newcomers, a grin on her face. Belle was first to exit the car, staring in awe at the tall building that stood in front of her.

"Holy crap, Em." Ruby's voice sounded as she, too, exited her maroon hunk of metal, grinning at the blonde. "From a frickin' mansion to a fancy ass apartment. I'm afraid to look inside and find a chandelier again."

"Oh, hush." Emma wrinkled her nose at her friend's comment. "It doesn't. I saw some pictures."

"Uh-huh." The waitress gave her a wry look as the former teacher moved around the Benz, a bag slung over her shoulder.

Regina slipped an arm around her younger lover's waist, a grin splitting her face. "Are you ready to go inside, my love?"

Emma felt a purr bubble in her throat at the sudden contact, the warmth seeping into her left side. "I was waiting for David to park the moving truck." She rumbled, watching as said man had carefully backed the truck up to the nearest door, regardless of the striped lines that protested.

"And we're good." The blonde nodded toward her father before taking her girlfriend's hand, moving toward the truck.

David hopped out with a duffle bag and a grin, nodding to the group that greeted him. "I didn't think I'd find a place to park this thing."

"And by the looks of it, you didn't." Regina pointed to the white, diagonal lines with a soft chuckle. "I'm sure they won't mind. It will only be until tomorrow morning."

"Hopefully. I'd hate to see your things hauled away." David chuckled and followed the group of women to the door, politely waiting as each one filtered through.

"I hope not. We've got some pretty important shit in there." Emma gave her father a glare. "And some... things we can't really live without." Her eyes flashed momentarily to Regina, a smirk soon appearing on her features that quickly had the brunette woman blushing.