Part One

"Two, four, six, eight, we don't want to integrate!" People stand outside of William Frantz Elementary School protesting, screaming, and threatening her. Signs read Integration is a mortal sin, and keep our schools' white! I and Ruby Nell Bridges Hall were at the intersection of black and white where Jim Crow Law and segregation was the mother of the Deep South of New Orleans. It was November 14, 1960 when the first African American girl (six years old) walked into an all-white school. This was my first time seeing a person of a different race she had her hair braided and she wore a yellow dress.

Ruby is a year younger than me so I experienced more in my childhood. You would think during my childhood I would have memories of things that I loved doing. Unfortunately, I didn't because my father passed away in the Vietnam war. But what really killed my enjoyment of being a child was that people would pick on my best friend. I couldn't stand up for her because then people would try to attack me. I regret not doing anything even if I put myself in danger. I still relive those moments wishing I would have done something.

My mother didn't know that Ruby went to my school yet because on the first day she let me walk by myself to school since our house was only a couple blocks away. Unfortunately, she found out later that day and pulled me out of class. She went over the bend about me going to school with an African American. I didn't have class with Ruby but she was in a class by herself with one of the best teachers, Mrs. Henry. Everyone despised of Ruby so much even some of the teachers left. I just didn't understand why people hated her so much.

Eventually my mom let me go back to school only because I didn't have classes with Ruby. Ruby and I would meet up at the corner behind the bathroom. The first conversation we had went something like

"Hi my name is Ruby Nell Bridges Hall"

"Hi Ruby, my name is Eileen Gwendolyn Quincy"

"I like your dress Ruby"

"I like your dress as well"

I learned to look past color and we became best friends. Ruby taught me so much. Ruby showed me what it means to be brave, strong, and passionate. All she wanted was an education and that is what she got even when it was hard because of people's bigotry.

I called Ruby every night to talk to her about lots of things, and sometimes I can't even remember what we talked about. But I always will remember the time she told me her true feelings about what was going on at school. She said she did not like walking into school everyday with bodyguards and she began crying.

I'm 63 now and I am married to Eugene Harold Fitzgerald and we have three children (Eugene Harold Fitzgerald Junior, Dolores Gwen Fitzgerald, and Ruby Nell Fitzgerald). My mother nearly had a heart attack when I named my daughter Ruby. I named my daughter Ruby because of how much my best friend Ruby changed my life for the better.

*Flashback*

"I forbid you from speaking to that negro child Eileen. Haven't you got it girl! She's nothing but the scum betwixt my shoe Eileen". My mom hated that I even talked to her so naming my daughter after her was my mother's worst nightmare and I wish my mother would have understood how much Ruby has changed my life. I was only 3 when my father died but I noticed more and more how my mother coped with it all. She was severely depressed and she would get angry without reason sometimes.

One day after school in the 6th grade there was a civil rights march and Ruby's parents were going. It was hot and I was wearing pants that day.I didn't care about the heat though, that was the last thing on my mind. I remember helping Ruby make a sign for the march. I wanted to go so bad but I knew my mom, and I knew she was not going to let me even think about going. I went home and told my mom I was going to one of my new friend's house her name was Maggie and that I would spend the night.

*Flashback*

"Rube do you have the sign?"

"Yes of course I do, I can't leave the house without it"

"Eilee what did you tell your mom?"

"I told her I was going to be at Maggie's"

"Oh no, I hope she doesn't call and I also hope she doesn't see you on tv. You know this is going to get broadcasted"

"I don't even care"

We went together and a whole sea of white people were there protesting the movement. Then I saw my mother's friend who came to protest. I immediately started to freak out hoping she wouldn't see me. I began to duck behind people and still march at the same time and at this point I had lost Ruby, she was all the way in front. Fortunately I was a good hider. I was happy to be there to march with them because I knew how important was, and not just for me but for everyone. Ruby opened my eyes and she taught how to become conscious. But she also taught that when you wake up you have to get out of the bed too.

My mother knew that I wasn't at Maggie's. She made a quick visit there and when she realized I wasn't there she knew exactly where I was. She didn't come to get me she waited for me at home.

I was so frightened when I got home because of Maggie's phone call about my mother coming to her house.

She was sitting on the sofa and she said

"I told you not to be with that negro didn't I tell you that them black folks are scum. Disobey me again Eileen and you won't live another day to see your negro friend. I hated my mother so much I wanted her to fall off the face of the earth.

Unfortunately, my mother did pass away in 2004 because of stress. She was very sick and her body just shut down. I do miss her. I'm an author now in the year of 2016 and it has taken me forever to write this book about my friend Ruby. Ruby also is an author telling her truth and we both are still great friends. In the cross intersection of black and white we made shades of gray where everyone is equal. This is my great thanks to my friend Ruby.