⭐Three

After the emotional talk with Janice and Eugene, the day continued on a much brighter note than it had been. Etsy had opened up and looked around the world with shining eyes, believing it to be a world of adventure once more rather than irritation. Everyone seemed relieved that she was in a better mood. Her parents had stopped giving her comforting smiles and awkward, random hugs throughout the day. And Melvin had started talking with her while Gordon had literally tossed her over his shoulder and carried her to the water. There they had started a splashing match that could easily be considered for the Olympics.

Etsy would definitely win if it was a part of the Olympics. Her splashing skills were beyond pro level.

But night had fallen and with it came the dark thoughts. Melvin had once again started bathing Gordon with all of his attention, and the two had ran off somewhere in the shadows to have some time to themselves. Etsy couldn't refuse them that, of course, so she had quickly waved them off with a smile and settled herself next to her mom in front of the raging fire in front of them.

Little lanterns were scattered around a wide area of the beach. Many visitors were mingling, standing around or sitting at one of the picnic tables that were set out. Some even sat in the sand or on blankets, basking in the warmth of the bonfire that batted away the chilly breeze. Etsy was one of those people, with her head leaning on her mom's shoulder as she told horrible jokes or silly stories.

Being able to spend time with her parents before college was great. All throughout her senior year of high school, Etsy had focused on her grades and extracurricular activities, leaving her with little time to just sit and hang out with her parents. And with her being away next year in a dorm room an hour drive from home, she wanted to make up the lost time.

"When do you think dad's going to get you that blender you wanted?" Etsy asked her mom, already knowing that he had bought it and hid it in her closet. Her mom had been asking for over a year for the blender to make her famous smoothies, but her dad had put it off until their twenty year anniversary, which was only four months away.

"Your dad's cheap, Etsy," her mom whispered before giggling at her own words. Etsy joined her, and waved off her dad's confused stare from where he was standing with some other adults, chatting. "He won't put out $200 for a blender."

Etsy had already bought her gift for her parents. She had taken her allowance and made a reservation at their favorite Italian restaurant. After Gordon had arrived and started taking Melvin there for dates, the restaurant had received a lot of popularity, and had raised it's prices in response. Now people had to make reservations weeks before actually arriving from how packed the place always is. And since she had called and paid four months before her parents arrival, she was able to make sure that they were guaranteed the best seat in the building.

It was the least she could do, after having lived off them for eighteen years.

"He bought you a necklace," Etsy lightly defended him. She knew her mom was right, though. Her dad rarely spent a lot of money on something he could get an alternate one for a cheaper price. "It was over $100."

Her mom rolled her eyes and snorted. "I didn't need a necklace," she said, but the loving expression on her face showed that she appreciated it all the same.

Etsy just smiled and turned her eyes to the sky. It was insane how dark the sky could get. Even with the bright crescent shape of the moon, the sky seemed to swallow everything up in darkness and shadows. She remembered when she had been afraid of the dark when she was younger. Screaming and crying after her nightlight blinked out, she had ran as fast as she could to her parents room and curled up against her mom's back.

Her mom had woken up and carried her back to her room. Thinking back on that moment, Etsy couldn't remember everything that happened that night. It had been dark and her young mind had been terrified and tired, making her memory of it drowsy and blurry.