toffee

☞ chapter one • toffee

❝Theater helps you find yourself by becoming someone else. It's kind of a way of escaping and being found.❞

jane reynolds, disney in color.

°o° • °o° • °o°

I THOUGHT MOVING to a new school would be more like Mean Girls, but actually, it's more like Mean Girls 2. Tragic. And nowhere as good as the first one. I haven't decided if this is the type of situation in which I laugh, curse, or cry.

However, don't expect me not to state some real life shit.... well, I guess this may be the type of story that I curse in.

According to my school, I am what they consider an "Oreo"—black on the outside, white on the inside. This is due to the floral patterns I constantly wear and the fact that I can't shut up about theater and/or Disney. It could also be because I was actually able to grow my hair past my shoulders and now people assume I wear weave to add on to my "wannabe white girl look".

First, I should probably go over my school's whole social order rules:

1.) Jocks

2.) Black, Popular Jocks

3.) Inbetween-ers

4.) Black In-between-ers

5.) Nerds and Geeks

Unfortunately, other races that are considered the minorities of the minorities (Asians, Latinos, etc.) are not directly mentioned. However , they do fall under the category of the blacks because we all know that if you're not white no one lets you forget it. As long as no one is considered the "N" word then I won't take too much offense.

I'm going to be using color to identify a lot of things. At Wildwood High your specific race classifies how popular you are and where you stand in this social protocol. Don't worry, if you're popular then you're still on the same level of popularity as the next race, however, you'll just have to be more specified if you aren't a part of the majority.

I know this all sounds stupid, but every school is different.

I had to learn all of this when I moved here a few months ago. I immediately knew where I was on the social ladder. But, I prefer to be in my position anyway. I'm not considered "black and" anything. I'm just a nerd.

However, my skin color definitely does not go unnoticed.

Especially since I was the only girl of color to try out for Belle in the school's play, I got even more recognition for it.

It didn't matter too much to me, however. I was currently looking over the cast list and hopefully my name was at the very top next to Belle's.

I looked over the list, running my finger from the bottom up. I felt myself shake a little as my finger never stopped on a name that was mine. That was until I got to the very top of the cast list and read it:

Beauty and The Beast

Cast List

One Night Performance

May 21, 2016

Belle..................................... Jane Reynolds