This room of mine

Does there come a point where you don't know someone anymore? Does there come a time when the ones you held so dear, so close, ones that you spent long hours together for such long periods of time, don't remember you? Or at least, remember you, but not you 'you'? Does time and distance strip away old friendships, friendships that played significant parts in your life? Friendships that painted the walls of the once white room when you moved in? Is their a point where that memorable picture that you hung on your wall is meant to come down, because it's frame no longer illuminates with as much zeal as the moment you hammered that nail into the wall, symbolizing, that this person and our experiences has made a "dent" in my life? Does there come a point where its colors become black and white and that once so clear image is being hidden by the dust it has accumulated because of time? I begin to wonder, the people I've spent my life with in that specific point in time, will they go on and I go on and our long times together will sit in the back of our memories, like a room in a mansion that has been untouched for several years, and that once so brilliant and rich room has now become cruddy.

Doesn't there come a point where mucky antiques must be cleaned and removed from its sitting? Because if we were to leave this gritty room as it was forevermore, perhaps the strong built walls would crumble and cave in. I mean, these antiques could be given away? Every item, every frame, has it's own story and to bequeath them to someone else would perhaps be a "good deed" (what ever that may mean), as we'd be able to share our life lessons with the world around us. In a sense, I suppose we'd additionally be, what they'd call, "moving on." And moving on isn't as painful as we envision it, because if this is all true, the time you give away these items, or the day you pull down that frame from the wall, or repaint the walls, it should be tarnished, discolored, and lacking that grandeur it once possessed. I.e., you should have lost your emotional attachment to it, and transferring it from the wall to the big brown box should, indeed, be kids' stuff. Though so very often we pretend we feel it's pain, and for some, we fall for this psychological spoof. However, it is quite sincere of us to wish, or aspire, to feel that zeal we once felt as we put away such great memories. I guess, the bright side is that we are only making room for more adventures and experiences that are to come.

For the mean time, I will dance and admire this room of mine, and enjoy what is in it, and how it is, now, before Time takes it all away.