Prologue

“COME ON FREAK! SHOW US SOME OF YOUR MAGIC!”

Her breath heaved in and out, her chest burning but she couldn’t stop running. If she did, they would kill her. Skidding around the corner, she ignored the ache in her side. Only one more street and she would be home. Safe. Left alone-

“HEY!” a sharp pain hit the side of her head with a dull thud, followed by cackling laughter.

They were stoning her just like villagers did to witches in the old days.

“WE JUST WANT TO HAVE SOME FUN!” her eyesight started to blur around the edges with tears, and she just about gave up when she turned a corner and saw a familiar house. Seeing the soft yellow light spilling out from the windows fuelled her, and with a final burst of energy she reached her door.  Smiling through her tears, she turned the door knob to find that it wouldn’t open. A hollow feeling replaced the ache in her stomach as she slowly lifted her eyes to meet those peering through the curtains at her. She would never forget the look that the man and lady gave her. The look that her parents gave her.  A look of pure disgust tinged with fear. It was then that she knew they would never see her as their little girl ever again. The moment was broken when hands grasped her from behind; grabbing anything they could get their hands on.

“You’re ours now witch” Inhumane screams escaped her lips, almost resembling pleading cries. She screeched and struggled as they dragged her down the streets, but the people who saw her simply looked away; they knew better than to get involved in a matter like this. She couldn’t let them take her. Everyone knew that the ones that they captured never returned. With one last ounce of strength, she broke free of their clutches to beg for help, but it was no use. Their curtains were closed, and their lights were off. This time as they took her away, she struggled no more. They – like her – were gone forever.