Chapter 2 ~ Downtime for a beast

when Mal woke he saw his father. He blinked. His father was still there. he slowly sat up.

    “What happened?”

    “See for yourself.” He did. Oh god he did. It was awful looking on himself that first time. He shook, it was false it had to be. A lie. But he had felt the changes. He was ugly now. He looked towards his father.

    “Send me away.”

    “What?”

    “Please.”

****************

    The house was big and old. It had been gutted to be turned into a lush modern home. It had couches that weren’t really comfortable and unrealistically large chandeliers. The first thing he did was destroy his chosen room which was located in the farthest west part of the house. He then destroyed all the mirrors. He was a beast now an animal he knew that but didn’t have to see it. He was like the beast. He was the beast. There was only one difference, he would never turn back, ever. Th’yline had made it quite clear that this was quite permeant. They next thing he did was fire Kauque a servant his father hired for company and to keep the house in good order, But the house was so big there were weeks were neither of them saw each other so Mal fired him. Kauque seemed relived .He went on alone for what must have been years but could have been days. His father called. His father insisted that he have a tutor. They argued but eventually it was agreed on a tutor once weekly. The tutor’s name was Martin.

    “Hello, I’m Martin.” Mal growled in attempt to scare him away. It didn’t work. Martin taught and Mal was a exceptional pupil. They formed a small companionship. Mal still growled at him every morning. Martin latter after what could have been another year decided that Mal was depressed. Mal didn’t argue. He was alone most of the time in a big house and he was ugly. Even Mal knew that was probably a recipe for depression. Oddly enough he didn’t do anything. He just taught and provided a little company now and again.

    One day Martin called to tell him he wouldn’t be in for awhile. His nephew was sick. Mal had heard him speak of the boy before, something about interplanetary relationships. So Mal was alone for awhile, he was alone a lot and was used to it. He read beauty and the beast again. He understood. He did. He never understood before why the beast held Belle captive. He understood now. If a girl walked into his house he would likely hold her captive and could definitely see himself falling for her out of his need for companionship. He sat alone in the dark staring into the massive hedge that was the garden.

    “Please” he whispered to no one “I’m Lonely”

    “Who are you talking to?” his wild shaggy dreadlocks of fur whipped around making thuddings against the glass of the window. He almost screamed there was a ghost  in front of him. He blinked.

    “Well I knew you were a hermit but I didn’t know you were a Schizophrenic with Asp burgers”

    “I’m not Schizophrenic.”

    “Did the voices tell you that?” If this was a ghost then he was mouthy.

    “Are you dead?”

    “Are you human?” Mal blinked because he honestly didn’t know how to answer that question. Since Th’yline had cast her spell he supposed he wasn’t he was about a foot taller than he was with much broader  shoulders and completely covered with thick dark hair that had matted in places into dreadlocks. His eyes were two different sizes and colors and he had a muzzle with fangs that made talking difficult, and caused him to drool. He had claws too about three inches long and sharp. His legs were neither human nor animal but a bizarrely gruesome combination of the two. Then there were the scars across his body that formed an X on his chest no matter how long it had been they always looked red raw and new. The ghost blinked at him expectantly until Martin came up behind him.

    “Ah Ben you found him, Mal this is Ben.” Oh. OH. Not a ghost then.