A Few Short Hours

I wrote this ages ago before everything went wrong obviously. Carla and Robert never happened and this is set in September 2016. Please vote and review if you like it.

"Will you stop running so fast? I'm wearing heels here," I shout after a Nick as we run towards the bistro before breathlessly pulling open the door which he has already passed through.

As I shut the door behind me and enter the bistro, I can't believe it.

"Nick, what is this?" I ask, looking around.

Small fairy lights are hung up around the room, lighting it up. The tables are covered with white table cloths and the roses we had specially picked out. There is a large white arch at one end of the bistro with the words "Carla and Nick" written across it in fancy writing.

I walk further into the bistro, astounded at all the effort.

Turning around, I see Nick before me, down on one knee and I find myself speechless.

"Carla Connor, will you marry me in here tomorrow?"

I can't help but let out a laugh at his over exaggeration.

"You do know we're already engaged, right?" I ask him, a huge smile across my face as I walk slowly towards him, taking his hands in mine.

"Yeah but with everything, we just kept on putting it off, didn't we?" He states as I can't believe how lucky I am.

How thoughtful and kind and caring he is. And he's done it all for me.

I don't deserve him.

I look him in the eyes before answering, "Of course I'll marry you."

He leans forward, placing a kiss on my lips and his arms round me as we stare deeply into each other's eyes.

"I know it's a bit late notice but we already made all the decisions; you have the dress, the catering's sorted, there's nothing stopping us."

"On the perfect day too," I reply, thinking back to just one year ago today.

"She's not you."

"Mm I know, I must be a genius." He states as I laugh again.

He's perfect for me.

"I can't believe you did this, Nick." I say, in awe of the man stood in front of me, that he will really be my husband in just a few short hours.

"You've been through too much in your life and there's nothing I can do to change that but I know I can try and make sure that you have the happiest future possible."

A tear runs down my face as I smile up at him again, unable to believe this was really happening.

We are really getting married.

We've been engaged for months and yet it all seems so surreal.

After we postponed the first date, it was like our wedding was just untalked of. Like it wasn't really happening.

But it is.

It really is.

And then we can just focus on the rest of our lives.

I feel his thumb wipe away the stray tear as he places his finger under my chin, tilting it up to look at him.

"Nothing's gonna go wrong," he says.

And, I believe him.

I really do.