Tachophobia

"Mom, please slow down!!" I screamed, as she sped in her car. It was the highway, but she was going over 60 miles an hour!

"Catherine, you have to get over this fear of yours, there's nothing to be afraid about." Ms. Brown said, staring straight ahead.

"Mom!!" I exclaimed, squeezing my eyes shut and holding the car door as if it were the only thing keeping me alive.

I felt the car turn, and my stomach felt like it was about to come out of my mouth.

I screamed as she turned again, by now my Mom was annoyed, again.

"Cathy! Relax!" She exclaimed, sighing. But I couldn't, humans were made with legs, which could go pretty fast, but not super fast. We don't need cars.

We got off of the highway, and mom slowed down.... But only a tiny bit. She was going 30 miles an hour, which was still way too much.

"Mom, please." I said, closing my eyes again.

She slammed on the breaks, and we launched forward. "That's it." She said, getting out of the car.

"What is it mom?" I asked suspiciously, happy to not be moving again.

She threw open my door and leaned down. "Your driving."

"What??" I exclaimed, this cannot be happening!!
"I don't even have my license!" I had refused to take the classes, so I was almost 18 and still couldn't drive.

"I don't care, your getting over this." She said as I slowly stepped out. I inched my way to the driver seat, but when my Mom glared at me I hurried.

"Ok, so this is the break," she said, pointing. "And there is the gas." She showed me the clutch and other things.

"Are you ready?" She asked, I shook my head, but she rolled her eyes.

"Go ahead."

I took the clutch off of park, and steered. The car rolled slowly.

"Gas sweetie."

I took a deep breath, and touched the gas lightly, we went about a mile an hour.

"Faster honey!"

I took a deep breath, and slammed on the gas.

"Ahhhhhh!!!" I screamed along with my mom, it was as if my food was stuck, I couldn't move it.

Next thing I knew, the airbag was in my face.

I blacked out.

~

I woke up in a hospital bed, and looked around, freaking out.

"Hello?! Hello?!" I yelled, a nurse ran in.

"Hello sweetie, how are you?" The brown haired nurse asked.

"W-where am I? What happened?"

"You were in a car crash Catherine."

That's when it all came back.
"Wheres my mother?" I asked.

The nurse hesitated, "She didn't make it." She almost whispered.

My eyes started to tear. "W...what?"

"She didn't make it.... The car was going to fast."

~

From that day forth, I haven't so much have gotton in a car.

My Tachophobia got about 100 times worse, in fact, I only walk now. I haven't run for 3 years.

Speed is the enemy. I know that now.