0.0: turning pages

a wattpad project. © 2013

Turning Pages

Hello,

Okay, number one thing I'd like to clear up with you guys: this is not a contest. This is a project. And as you will soon find out, there is a very big difference.

What is Turning Pages, anyways? In a nutshell: it's a novel. Or at least, I'm hoping it will be.

If all works out well, the end of this project will result in a full-length novel of around 22 chapters. There will be two categories of participants, each with different jobs. Here's the obvious reason why this is not a contest: there are no judges, and everybody is a participant, not a contestant.

I'll post application forms in the next chapter.

Category 1: Writers. 

Your job is quite obvious: to write. Writers will have to compse at least one chapter of the story, and every chapter should be between 3 - 10 Wattpad pages. Your writing should be based on four things: the chapters that have been written before yours (which will be posted, and you'll have to read them for yourself), and three prompts that I'll give: two lines of poetry, one phrase that should be used in your chapter, and either a song OR a photo.

Besides that, there is no limit to what you write. The plotline is entirely up to you; I only write a prologue and give vague prompts to "set you off" / hopefully inpsire you. Your chapter depends on what has occured in the story in the chapters before yours, and the chapters after yours will in turn depend on your chapter.

Keep in mind, though: this shouldn't be poetry. This should be an actual novel, with proper grammar and all that jazz; of course, the style is entirely up to you. It doesn't even matter to me if the chapters all have very different styles.

Writers will be working alongside the second category of participants.

Category 2: Editors. 

This is pretty straight-forward, too; your job is to edit what the writer has written. Each editer will be assigned one or two writers, depending on the number of people that sign up. If you want to be an editor, I'm actually going to be a bit picky; I'll be looking through your profile and your works to make sure that you have a good knowledge of English grammar, and I will try to pair you with writers that have a similar style to yours. Note: if there's a group of you that know each others' styles pretty well, and you know you have good grammar, you can apply to be a writer-editor team together.

Please be respectful of what your "assigned writer" has come up with. This is the part I'm a little worried about, but also most excited for; I want you guys to work together. If we were real, publishing writers, we would all have to run our writings through editors. As an editor, your task is to read what your writer has written, point out little mistakes they made in their haste to release the beautiful world in their minds, and give them your thoughts on the chapter; critique seriously, yes, but remember to be polite at all times. Remember that they have worked hard on this (I hope).

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

My ideal goal is to have ten writers and ten editors*. Each pair would work on two non-consecutive chapters; the prologue I will write myself, and there will also be an epilogue. So ideally, in total, there would be twenty-two chapters. All of you will have a chance to write the epilogue; I think it would be amazing if you could all send me your [edited] epilogue idea, and I will combine them all into one big finale.

The time limit for each chapter would be fifteen days. I don't want this to take years and years to finish, but I definitely understand the need for loads of time before you can write a good chapter. So there's no way you can be disqualified, and if you need more time - just let me know. Or if this is a really bad time for you, I can push you back and you can write a later chapter instead.

The point of this contest is...well, there isn't really a specific one. I want to give you guys an opportunity to see what it's like to work with other people on a piece of writing, and you can also get to know another Wattpad writer a little better. Who knows - your editor or your writer might just be your next (Internet) best friend! :p

I'd love to hear what you guys think of my idea. Please feel free to leave comments; if something doesn't make sense, do ask! I just realized I sounded rather formal in this little intro. I hope I haven't scared any of you off D:

This is intended to be a fun little project based around something we all love: WRITING (and reading). So I hope you're all interested - I hope you all want to join, and if you do: I hope you all have fun!

Cheers,

bigcitystars

*update: October 7th, 2013: I'm changing this to eight writers and eight editors; there will probably be something like three chapters per writer? NOTE: We really need more editors! I know most of you want to write, but...just think about it? Especially if you have good grammar? :3