0.2: rules

Rules

Just some general things - most of this is common sense.

1. Respect.

Respect your writer, and respect your editor. Respect everyone's opinions. Respect the teams before you that have come up with those chapters, and remember to build your own chapter based on those. Respect this story, and respect the fact that this is a project where we all work together; please don't try to give it a 360-degree turn into just your story. Remember, this belongs to everyone.

2. Deadlines.

I'm going to start with a one month limit for each chapter, because I know writing actual novel chapters can be hard and so can editing them. I still don't want this to take three years to finish, though, so please try to get them done ASAP - without interfering with your own lives, of course, and without diminishing the quality of the chapter. If you really need more time, just let me know and you can have it. This isn't a contest; there's no real deadline.

3. Writing. 

The only "rule" is to include the phrase that I ask you to include in your chapter; other than that - like I've said so many times - everything is up to you. 

However, if there's something you've done with the character in your chapter that you want to be continued into the next - e.g., you added a little foreshadowing that you hope another writer will "bring to light" in the future, please tell the next writer that. For example: if I'm writing chapter 3 and I write "She hates cake with a passion!", but there's something more to that than just simply hating a sweet dessert, then I will private message the secret - in this case, she hates cake because her abusive father was a baker - to the writer and editor of chapter 4.

Please write your chapters in first person, from the point of view of the girl (the one who hated rain; go see my prologue if you're confused) ONLY. Please don't do any POV changes.

This is just to maintain the overall flow of the story.

Oh and, please use this thing (it's 13 dashes) for "scene breaks"; again, this is to unify the whole novel.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

4. Posting.

I will post all the chapters under "City Lanes" - aka, the actual story. The prologue is already up; I wrote it. When you've finished with your chapter, please have the writer email the final, edited, very good copy to me at shapeofthingstocome@hotmail.com. I will post it as soon as I can, and I promise to not do anything to it.

5. Confusion.

If you're confused, or have some sort of severe writer's block, let me know and we'll work it out. Remember, this is about having fun - a new experience! Don't stress yourself over such a little thing on the Internet.

Please - either add this book to your library and/or follow me, so you can keep up with both the story and the project.

6. Dedication.

The writer can choose who they want the chapter to be dedicated to, and I will do that for you :) Please don't do author's notes, though. Editors, there will be a separate acknowledgements chapter for you guys at the end of the book.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's it, really! I think we can begin soon.