The "New" Beginning

Derek didn't know what to do. He didn't know how to revive from it. He talked to Jessie a lot. But no help. His heart still loved her. Deep inside he knew that he should've completed his project, but he wanted a new beginning.

Something new start with, a way to overcome the harsh break up. He couldn't work. He couldn't do anything his life. Later that week when Derek came to work, he saw Khloe with her classmate, Jimmy Hunter, hugging. He was crushed, he knew she moved on. But deep inside Derek knew he didn't move on. He went home crying, promising himself to finally let go. But then Khloe called Derek. She wanted to see how he is doing.

"Derek? How are you? I know you must be devastated, but I'm always here for you.. I still care about you so much...", Khloe said.

Derek didn't know what to say. He was shocked that she even talked to him. Eventually he did spill out some words saying:" Thank you, but you moved on, I can't let you back in, it's unfair for Jimmy".

-"Don't worry about Jimmy, its ok. I choose what is best for me." Khloe answered and continued:" I want to be here, next to you, maybe not as a lover, but as a friend."

Derek couldn't say no to her. He never could, his heart wouldn't allow it. They began a new part as friends. But it was not as they expected it to be. Derek and Khloe fought, stopped talking, returned to talk and fought again. For almost 18 months. While Khloe had another person to go to (Jimmy), Derek took the fights really hard, because he didn't had anyone to go to and talk.

One day, Derek went to play basketball with his friends. He felt bad on his back. He went straight to the hospital. He needed surgery. Surprisingly Derek saw Khloe there, with Jimmy, who had a small car accident but no harm was done to him. Derek didn't know if he should say anything.
Khloe noticed him on the bed and she was shocked because Derek didn't tell her anything.

When the doctors put him in the room, she came inside the room and said in a shocked voice
-"Derek?"
Derek looked up and saw Khloe, he was crying from pain. He didn't answer.
-"You must be hating me now... I'm sorry, I won't bother. But please talk to me..."
While Khloe was headed outside, Derek stopped her by saying
-" I fell on my back while playing basketball. I cant feel my legs.."
Khloe was worried, and just before she wanted to answer Derek, the doctor came in.

-"Mr. Rodman, How are you? I'm your doctor, Malcolm Robinson. I see you fell on your back and you can't feel your legs, ain't that right?"

Derek nodded his head with agreement. "What will happen now doc?" Derek asked with a worrying voice. "Am I paralyzed?"
Doctor Robinson smiled and said "No, but you need to have a back surgery."

Derek was shocked as it was like knives in his ears. Khloe was shocked to. She couldn't handle what she heard, but told Derek to talk to her, and left the hospital with Jimmy.

Later that night, Derek sent a text message to Khloe. Updating her that his surgery will be held first thing in the morning. Khloe was worried, and asked Derek to take care of himself. But Derek refused. He told her that he couldn't do the friendship thing because he feels wrong about it.
Khloe was frustrated and angry. She didn't even reply Derek, they stopped talking.

Three months has passed from the day of the surgery. Derek didn't hear a single word from Khloe. He felt bad about what he told her so he sent her a text message, saying "How are you?"
She didn't reply at that moment. But she did later that day, "I'm good, how are you..? How is your back doing?
He told her it was getting better, and that he was sorry about what happened three months ago. She said it's ok, although it crushed her, because Derek was the only person that could really understand her. Same goes for Derek.

After a month of talking, and remembering the good old times, it was the senior year for Khloe. But her mind was not in school. Jimmy was causing her some trust troubles. Derek sometimes tried to convince her to leave him. But she couldn't.