The beginning

It was a spring day. I remember it clearly, at least I think I do. These days, it's a wonder I remember anything. The warm spring weather was inviting and everyone at school was struggling to stay focused on the lesson. I was daydreaming, mostly about getting home and playing video games. I drifted in and out of focus until the bell rang. It was lunch time!

I ran out of the class as fast as I could and put my things in my locker, and there you were, day after day, the same stairwell, same exact spot even... Alone. I decided that that was the day I'd do something about it, so I approached you timidly and you smiled and silently patted the spot next to you on the ground. This was it, this was how it started. You were silent the whole time, not one word was shared between us. At the end, you smiled at me and walked away to wherever you had class next. The rest of the day was me thinking about your smile, the soft ghost of your lips lifting up as if to say thank you. The way it reached your gorgeous eyes that didn't know whether to be blue or green so they were both. It was dizzying.

We saw each other once more that day, you and I passed each other everyday on our way home. We split ways about a block from my house and I watched you walk, I went to call out but stopped, knowing that we'd had enough that day, that I had to move slowly around you, because you were easily frightened.
That was the beginning. That was how it all began.