01 | present time, 2032 [lance]

ONE

LANCE EVANS HAS daddy issues. Sure, his father is the mayor of the city and with that said, he is definitely better off as compared to his classmates. Like, better off as in richer; more privileged. But that doesn't mean he is a daddy's boy. He likes to think that he's far from it, actually. The thought of being one is cringe-worthy. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. He has daddy issues. Right.

Lance likes to believe that having a more privileged life is, in no way, equivalent to having better relationships. In fact, he is absolutely certain that money spoils relationships. Even if it has the ability to make you happy. It doesn't make him happy, for the record. Money is, in factual (or not) terms, greed and greed is nowhere near good, even if both words start with the same letter.

With Gabriel Evans, the person Lance has daddy issues with, money comes pouring in quickly. Rise of economy? More money. Trades from overseas businessmen? More money. As long as the city prospers, money will come rolling into the pockets of Gabriel Evans. And the citizens' pockets, of course.

If you think that Gabriel Evans, having earned more money, would give Lance more allowance, then you are, sadly, mistaken. Lance, to Gabriel Evans, is a sort of investment. Brutal statement, but it's the truth. Cold, hard truth, if you may.

There's never a time when Gabriel Evans would tell Lance to 'take a break'. Because investments don't ever take breaks. You either rise or you fall. And in Gabriel Evans' dictionary (one that Lance desperately wants to burn away, if he could), you can never find the word 'fall'. A reason why the city is constantly prospering, actually. Rise, rise and rise, but never fall. Falling, to Gabriel Evans, is a sin and, while it is applicable to the city he's in-charge of, it is definitely also applicable to his son, Lance.

The extra income Gabriel Evans has, will be the extra amount of money used to, well, invest in Lance. Invest his hopes and dreams in Lance by signing his son up for more courses, activities and whatever. As if the ones he's already being signed up for aren't enough. To say that Lance's weekly schedules are packed would be the understatement of his entire life. Not that Gabriel Evans would care. He doesn't care about his son's mental well-being.

And, to make matters worse, he's strict when it comes to his son. Afraid that his son would defy him by sneaking away from any courses, activities, or whatever, Gabriel Evans does what every rich person would do – employ a chauffeur and personal assistant for Lance. Lance thinks that he is simply spending away unnecessary money. One would say that he is merely making his son's life easier and ensuring that his son will be protected (from what though?) at all times, but Lance knows better.

The chauffeur and personal assistant are not there to ensure his safety and whatnot. They are there to keep an eye on him and are the people who would control and watch his every move for as long as Gabriel Evans is not around; for as long as he, Lance, is not in the same place as Gabriel Evans. Which is annoying, really, but he can't do anything about it. That doesn't mean he hasn't tried doing anything about it, though.

He has. Numerous times, in fact. But what did Gabriel Evans do? Well, he either 1) goes into the role of Elsa from Frozen and shut Lance out (which, in this case, Lance is literally Anna) or, 2) tells Lance to act his age and stop whining when he has responsibilities to ... what was that term again? Oh, yes, uphold. That also doesn't mean that Lance didn't try and defend himself. Or rather, talk back (as adults love to put it).