Chapter six

• Dedicated to Nivedha Rajasekar

"Every single night unfolds with a lesson to teach you. A story, disguised as a dream, to remind you of something and sometimes, to warn you."
-CONTORTED

CHAPTER 6- THE  ANATHEMA

Nile woke up on the floor, the next day.. She felt lightheaded and suppressed a strong urge to gag as she tried to get on her foot. She clenched her stomach tightly and slowly knelt down. Her body felt tired and heavy.
"Ain't there anyone to rescue me from this inhumane life?!" She muttered to herself, and in turn her body responded by another wave of nausea; this time it hit her hard, and she had to rush to the bathroom.

She slammed open the bathroom door, tripped on something slippery and fell down with a thud, banging her head forcefully on the ceramic sink. The pain shot through her whole body, and her nausea cleared, giving way for a more painful wave of pain. She took a few moments to gather herself , and realized her forehead had just started bleeding. She saw the drops of blood trickling down her eyes, like tears, and dripping on the white tiles.
 she groaned in pain and collapsed on the floor when something caught her eye.
Red.
Crimson.
Blood. A lot of blood. Splotched on the walls and puddled on the floor.

"Am I not dead yet?" She gasped on seeing the blood, and realized she just tripped on a puddle of blood!
She checked her wrist. They were taut and uncut. She quickly glanced at her body. No other bruises than the one on her forehead.
She shifted her gaze to the pool of blood that trailed all the way leading to the toilet. An instant shiver ran along her spine when she surmised the possibility of the creature that was inside the can.

Come what may, It is dead. Whatever it may be!! It has to be dead!

She slowly staggered to the toilet, and paused before reaching out for the closed seat.
She slowly lifted it up, and what she saw inside almost made her faint.
It was a black cat.
A Bloody Butchered black cat.
Its head was neatly dismembered from its furry black body which lay there lifeless, covered in its own blood..

She quickly closed the toilet seat and slammed against the wall.
"Jeez!!! !! What on earth is this?!" She cried and smacked loudly on her forehead, without realizing the deep cut across it.
A shot an excruciating pain. More blood. She glanced at her trembling wet hands.
That was all her weak stomach could endure.
The whole place stank of Death and decomposition.
Her nausea completely invaded her and she gagged till her guts ached. Threw up till her whole body fluttered weakly like a dry withered leaf.

She struggled to get on her foot and she crawled her way out of the bathroom, carefully avoiding the puddle of blood on the floor. Her whole nightgown was stained with blood, and her own puke. She sauntered along the hallway, and slouched on the sofa.

Did the creature on the bed leave me a sign? A sinister warning?? No way! Warnings signal the coming of something bad. Everything IS already falling apart here!! Everything happening here is a disaster, already. What more could happen?!

"What more??! Anything else?! Anyone else out there?" She cried, waving her hands across the empty room! She condoled her own misery. Her forehead throbbed, and she decided that she didn't want to bleed herself to death. She struggled her way back to the bedroom, and found a box of bandages. she tightly wrapped it on her forehead and plopped back on the bed.

Images of Joey started flooding into her mind.

She stared at the dresser, which was directly in front of her bed. She knew that she was  dying a slow painful death. She was frightened to look at her own face, with all those blood stains, which were drying on her skin.
"I look like a zombie, right Joey??" she muttered at herself and let out a weak laughter.
"He always hated zombies. And me! He never liked me, but pretended like he did. Now he's happy with someone else!!!" Her lips quivered as she tried to retain her smile though her tears already started surging out, moistening the bloodstains on her face.
"Look at me, Joey!" She cried, looking herself in the mirror!! "Look at me! You're having the time of your life with that woman, and look what have you done to me!"