A Bella Notte Christmas Story

The snow fell in tiny flakes. The world had turned from its usual woodsy hue to a winter white wonderland. The house was basically empty. I felt utterly alone. This wasn't how I had intended on spending my Christmas Eve. I guess I shouldn't have expected much, Mom and Dad were usually gone.

I went outside and watched the falling snow. It was our first snow, and something about it seemed magical. The cool crisp air crackled with the coming frost. The fire inside called me back into the house.

Why do they always do this to me? I felt utterly and completely alone.

I just couldn't understand why everyone thought it was okay to leave me alone on the holidays.

A knock at the door brought me back to the moment. I got up and walked over to it. I doubt that Santa Claus was going to drop by anytime soon.

Mia bella, Merry Christmas.” Dom stood in the doorway with a Santa hat on, he kissed the back of my hand.

“Really, Dominic?” I snorted.

“Have some spirit, Emma.” He pulled me out to stand on the porch.

“You know it's snowing out here, right?” I laughed at him as he caught some of the flakes on his tongue.

“Yes, I know. Taste the purity of a first snow fall.” His smile was devilish.

“You sound like the sinister guy in all the movies, trying to tempt the poor innocent virgin into losing some aspect of her purity. It's just snow, you dork.” I punched his shoulder lightly.

“Try to have some fun, Emma. Life can be too short to not enjoy the moments.” He stood watching the snow fall down around us.

I looked over at him. I took in all that was Dominic. He always seemed to surprise me. The snow stayed on his cheeks as he looked up at the sky. He was obviously cold. A smile pulled at my lips as I realized that he had put on the Santa hat and brought a little Christmas spirit to me.

“Hey, do you wanna take a drive through town?” His eyes held mischief.

“That is alright. This town goes way over the top on Christmas. If I had eaten green and red cookies, I would puke them on everyone's lawns.” I gestured toward the outside of our house.

The pillars were wrapped in brightly colored ribbons. There was a huge wreath on the front door. Large red bows were stuck to each window. Of course my family couldn't just have inflatable creatures in the yard. Oh no, we had freaking handcrafted snowmen, Santa, elves, reindeer- the works. On our roof, a happy little Santa stood holding a bulging sack- his sled and reindeer sat behind him. Christmas angels were placed on the widow's walk. I thought that with their glowing halos, they looked like evil children. No one cared about that though. It was all about being “part” of the community.

A sneer rolled across my face.

“What's wrong, Em?” Dom asked in concern.

“Nothing. I was just thinking about how fake all of this crap is.” I pointed toward the lawn and then up at the angels and Santa.

“Your parents just want you guys to fit in.” He shrugged.

“If they truly wanted that then we wouldn't live so far out of town. We wouldn't have a huge house. It's not like anyone can see this junk.” I rolled my eyes.

“Where is your Christmas spirit, Emma?” His bright green eyes seemed to look into my soul.

“Dominic, would you have Christmas spirit if you had been left all by yourself on a holiday that is supposed to be about family?” I countered.