The Baker's Poppet

You smiled as you looked at your sons sleeping. The two four-year-oldes were absolutely adorable, you had been going out with a man named Francis Boffunery You had started going out during junior year of high school and by freshman year of college the two of you lived together. In sophomore year of college you found out you were pregnant. When you had told him you didn't know how he'd react however you didn't think it'd be as bad as it was, he ran away.He packed his bags and his eyes had been cold and heartless as he left on the first plane to France. You had cried but you hadn't triedto stop him. The second you thought that you could possibly bepregnant that little jellybean in your womb became your whole world.

It had turned outnot just one but two, twins. Fraternal twin sons, Alfred and Matthew.They looked so much alike that some mistook them for identical twins,they both had the same luxurious blonde hair Francis had, Matthewwith a stubborn curl and Alfred with a cowlick that would never bebrushed down with the rest of their hair, Francis's eyes were alwayseither violet or blue depending on the light, Alfred's eyes were blueunder glasses while Matthew's were violet behind glasses as well. Thedifference was Alfred was far sighted and Matthew was near sighted.They looked so much like Francis and you loved them so much.

Every now and thenFrancis would send a check in the mail and ask how you were doingwhich you never answered. It was random when it would happen but eachtime it did you separated the money equally putting it into the boyscollege fund. Honestly it felt more along the lines of hush hushmoney to keep you quiet about him having a child with a foreign womanmore than child support. He had no idea which gender his child wasmuch less that he had twins. However you'd always be grateful to whathe gave you, three things he gave were first he taught you to loveyourself and see that you were beautiful and the other two were themost important in your life, Alfred and Matthew.

Being a single momof twins was hard, money was tight and work was hard, not to mentiononline college classes. You had a good desk job with people whoaccepted you, hell they even helped babysit. You had a coworker wholived down the road named Yao, who had four younger siblings all fivebeing adopted by parents who couldn't have children who died and hetook over taking care of his little siblings. You watched them everynow and then when he had to work on classwork or something. Sometimeswhen he was low on money you'd give him a odd job around the house,minor repair work since he refused to just take the money.

Sometimes when youhad college work you invited the five over and would feed them whilehe cooked, you got to have someone watch your twins and cook dinnerwhile you did work for your online classes and he and his siblingshad food.

You did wellconsidering, you could buy what was needed as well as treats everynow and again. Once a week you let them take turns on where theywanted to go for a treat. This week was Matthew's turn and he alreadysaid yesterday that he wanted to try out that new bakery, WonderlandTreats which you had to agree looked good.

After lunch youdressed your boys in warm clothing before leaving as it was Octoberand starting to get cold. Matthew held onto his stuffed white bearnamed Kumijou while Alfred held a plushie version of Captain America,the two boys were good on sharing their toys Alfred had a thing forsuperheros, Captain America being his favorite, always saying how hewas the hero while Matthew liked stuffed animals and his belovedKumijou being his absolute favorite.

"Comeon mon chers. (my dears.)" You said happily leading them away, itwas important to you to let them keep their heritage even if Francishad nothing to do with them. Matthew took to the French more than hisbrother even if they both knew it.