The Scally Wags

“Meggie, darling!” my twin sister Indie sang out. I groaned.

    “That’s my name.” I turned from my maths homework and saw her grinning at the study door. She cocked her head to one side and frowned slightly. One hand was on her hip and the other on the door handle.

    “Were you doing maths?” She asked incredulously. I gulped, ignoring her question.

    “What do you want? I’m busy!” I snapped at her, spinning back around on my swivel desk chair.

    “Geez! Why so snappy?” she shot back defensively. I turned back around, throwing my head back into the chair.

    “I asked what you wanted! Now, if you have nothing to say, please leave Indie!” I shouted.

    “Margaret!” yelled Valentina, our foster sister. I sighed, annoyed.

    “Val! Can you please get Indie out of here?!” I called back, glaring at my twin. She smiled back at me smugly. Valentina appeared at my door, behind Indie. Her gorgeous chestnut hair was in glossy ringlets that fell to her waist and her lips were painted a dark shade of red, making her teeth appear whiter.

    “Girls…” She exhaled loudly. She looked at both of us.

    “Indie, say what you want to say then leave poor Meg alone!” She demanded. Indie groaned and I folded my arms over my chest and raised my eyebrows.

    “I wanted to say that that the weird girl from school that always hangs around you called to say she will be here at 5 o’clock!” Indie burst out, rolling her eyes.

    “That weird girl that hangs around me is my friend, Indie. And her name is Rubi!” I retorted. She pouted which only irritated me more and I clenched my fists in my lap.

    “Well, I think she’s lovely! Rubi, I mean.” Valentina replied, frowning so slightly I could hardly tell at my sister. Indie held her breath then burst out laughing.

    “Rubi Fitzrosen?!” she cackled as if it was the funniest joke ever told, “Pah! Rubi is such a slob! I honestly don’t know why you hang out with her!!” I was insulted. Rubi was my best friend! She understood me more than Indie did and we were twins.

    “Indiana Hope Scally!” I screamed, throwing myself at her. Valentina stepped in between us, and threw out her arms.

    “Hey, hey, hey!” she whispered gently to us, “Rosalind said no fighting.”

    “I don’t give a rat’s tit what Rosalind said, Valentina!” I yelled, not taking my squinted eyes off of Indie. Valentina frowned heavily and I immediately felt terrible.

    Rosa was our foster mother and has been since we were dropped in her garbage bin, screaming and red-faced as babies. She had gone to throw out some rubbish and heard our desperate wails coming from inside. She had taken us in like many other kids who had grown up and moved out years before. A heavy weight was dropped onto my shoulders and I quickly stuttered out an apology.

    “I… I’m so sorry!” I swallowed.

    “That’s not fair, Megs! Rosa has brought you girls and me up to be such wonderful people plus she runs the restaurant… and with no help at all.” She reasoned; her usual calm and chilled self still shining through.

    “I’m really, really sorry, Val!” I apologised, meaning it. Indie smiled, widening her eyes innocently.

    “Meggie was really naughty just then. Does that mean she can’t go to Rubi’s party?” she half-begged Val. Valentina sighed defeatedly.

    “No Indie!” I screeched, cutting off Val’s reply. I slapped my hand over my mouth and mouthed sorry.

    “No Indie. Meg can still go since Rubi has only invited her and it would be unfair to not turn up.” Indie glared at me, obviously frustrated and stamped her foot. That was true. Apart from me, Rubi didn’t have many other friends.

    You, as the reader, are probably thinking that we are about six or seven years old but surprise, surprise, we are both 15, turning 16 in a few weeks. We haven’t been all that close, Indie and I, and today was no exception to our usual tantrums.

    I threw up my arms and spun my chair back around, continuing on with my work. I had been doing homework since this morning and it was now already midday. I guess that gives a bit of information about myself, I like being organised and studying. I waited silently for a while, keeping still to alert me to any Indie-like noise to dob on again. Everything was fine when I heard her and Val plodding back downstairs. I turned back to my Maths work and sighed heavily.