Cyclone Rubi

Hours later, I was dressed in my high-waisted denim skinny jeans, a banana-yellow blouse and gold platforms. I stared at myself in the mirror and twirled my waist-length brown waves, placing it all over my left shoulder. After fishtail-braiding my hair to the side and adding the finishing touches to my au naturel makeup, I grabbed my wallet and headed downstairs.

    “Oh, Meggie!” Valentina breathed, when I stopped at the bottom of the stairs, “You gorgeous girl!” She bent and kissed both of my cheeks fondly. I rolled my eyes.

    “That’s coming from you!” I laughed, hugging her back. We had a joke for a few more moments before Indie bombarded on the peace.

    “Oh. My. God.” She screamed, “Is that my yellow blouse?” I shook my head.

    “It’s mine, Indie! We have the same one, remember?” I explained slowly, trying to keep my frustration inside. Valentina looked between the two of us, confused.

    “Ugh!” Indie groaned, “If you say so…” She stormed off, obviously plotting something as usual. Valentina turned away from me and watched her go, smiling faintly.

    “Goodness! Someone’s a drama queen!” She giggled. I joined her before grabbing my secret stash of junk food from behind the bin and heading out to the front door towards the car.

    It only seemed like moments later we were parked outside of the Fitzrosens’ house            and I was stuffing the lollies and chips in my royal blue backpack. Valentina let the engine idle and she gave me a pep talk.

    “No alcohol, no kissing boys –“ I shook my head and cut her off.

    “It’s just going to be me and Rubi, Val! We will be fine.” I assured. She nodded towards the house, where ample numbers of boys and girls           were pouring out the door. My mouth fell open.

    “What the hell!” I gaped, swinging open the car door. I leapt out and then looked from the house to Valentina.

    “Off you go, I trust you, Meg,” She smiled. “Don’t forget! Rosa will be here at 12 to pick you up so don’t be late out or you know what will happen!” We laughed.

    “Where is Rosa anyway, Val?” I asked. She shook her head and tutted.

    “Getting another three foster children! I thought we were done after you two but… ooh obviously not! Ha-ha!”            She sighed, jokingly. I laughed.

    “Yes! We are enough, hey?” I agreed. She grinned, nodding then ushered me away. I grabbed my bag and ran inside.

    The music was pumping and everyone was dancing around the house in a Congo line. I frowned slightly then shrugged my shoulders and joined the end of it as it passed me. I happened to be just behind my other best friend, Lachlan Highfeldt who I tapped on the shoulder playfully. He turned around and broke into his familiar massive grin.

    “Meggie!” He laughed, breathlessly, stopping to talk to me. He threw his long, strong arms around me and hugged me. I felt so safe and warm in his arms.

    “You look great!” He murmured truthfully. I chuckled.

    “You too, mate!” We broke apart and I asked him where Rubi was.

    “Occupying all the guests, I suppose!” He raised his eyebrows, suspiciously, “How on bloody earth did she get Becker Lane to come?” I chuckled at his comment. I was just as confused as he was tohow she got all these popular people to come to her birthday party, who wouldn’t have come otherwise. Lachlan’s eyes focused on something over my shoulder and he waved madly. I spun around, just in time to be bombarded by a tight squeezing hug from Rubi.

    “Meggles! I’m so happy you made it!” She giggled excitedly. I rolled my eyes.

    “Same.” I looked up to Lachlan, who laughed when he saw my face. I shook my head and sighed, faking annoyed. Rubi grabbed my arm and pulled me off towards the passing Congo line.

    “Come on!” She laughed, eagerly. “Let’s have fun!” I was dragged off and Lachlan’s lip drooped unhappily. I gave him a sorry look and let myself be pulled away by the crazy Rubi-cyclone.