Chapter 2 ~ Roses

Melvin kept drifting in and out of sleep as the carriage bobbed comfortingly up and down, and the warm air that surrounded Satan was thick like a blanket. He had vague memories of lights flashing by and the clanking of wheels. He was aroused by a sudden screeching noise and he felt the whole carriage tip backwards as the train stopped. “Shit.” Satan said under his breath, and grabbed onto Melvin’s arm. “Whats going on?” Melvin asked sleepily. Satan avoided an answer. “Come on, we have to go!” He pulled Melvin up and stumbled his way through the crowds and then waited at the doors as they slid open, whoosh.

    Melvin caught a glimpse of the train station and took a note of its name. Abyss way. No-one seemed to be getting off at this station either, which was weird. Actually, no one seemed to be paying attention to it whatsoever. The train slowly started chugging away again. Melvin was dragged through some weird looking doors into the outside world again. “How long were we even on that train?” He asked, as he rubbed his eyes. “Long enough.” Satan was giving short answers…

    Melvin looked up and noticed dark storm clouds covering the sky. It looked like it was about to rain, but it felt hot, not wet. “It looks kinda dark… should we be out here in this kind of weather?” he asked again. He was trying to get at least some information from Satan. Satan just shrugged. “Just follow me, would you?” Melvin sighed and gave up asking.

    They finally arrived at a shabby building down a back alley. Melvin pulled a face as he looked at it. “Why are we here?” he questioned. Satan pushed open the doors and grabbed Melvin’s wrist, pulling him inside. He didn’t answer. Melvin looked around and saw a picnic blanket across the floor and a basket. There were petals leading across the ground and candles everywhere. Melvin looked across at Satan and his face turned red as Satan walked over to a window sill and brought over a bunch of roses. Melvin smiled as he realised what was going on.

     “Happy anniversary, Melvin.” Satan said.