Epilogue

I ducked behind the pillar just as a bullet grazed the side of the solid concrete. I flinched as the debris shot across my cheeks. My gun was already pointed down, the safety clicked off the moment we entered the compound.

My eyes flickered across the perimeter, but between the fire, the setting sun, and the randomly placed security lights, I couldn't find the shooters. I turned towards the black SUV, tempted to make a run into the open door, but saw Shannon dive towards it first. I couldn't risk going there without giving her away as well.

She saw me, her brown eyes finding me through the darkening sky. "What's going on?" She shouted over the gunfire. I couldn't believe that there was still some security fighting off the invaders, because this wouldn't have happened in the first place had they stepped in earlier.

My head flew down as another bullet shot dangerously close by me and embedded itself into the wall behind me. "Beats me!" I hollered back, twisting to get a look behind me. I could see no one, and the smoke was starting to filter out the front, causing my eyes to burn slightly.

"Where are the others?" I shouted to Shannon. She didn't respond immediately, but quickly brought her gun up, shot off three bullets, and turned to me. I heard a distinct shout, praying that it was an attacker that she put bullets in.

"I saw Josh and Forrest go around back, to the poolside." Her voice was calm, but I could see the fear in her eyes.

I cursed.

My biggest regret was jumping right into this mission without consulting the rest of my team. Being off duty for fifteen-months was starting to drive me crazy. No amount of training and simulations filled the void in my heart that told me to go out into the field and take down the bad guys. After signing up for the mission, I briefed my team, and they were ecstatic. My promise to them was that I would be bringing them all back home safe and sound.

So far I already lost two men, and I didn't even know their status. "Katlyn?" I questioned. Shannon and I looked at each other, suddenly realizing that the perimeter got dead quiet. That was a sign that either they had left, or were closing in, trying to recon us out.

I made a quick three-sixty scan and bolted to Shannon, ducking by the Lexus LX's heavy frame. "Do you know where she is?" I asked again, in a hushed tone. Shannon shook her head, tears beginning to brim.

"She was... well I thought she was behind me. I turned and couldn't find her. As far as I'm concerned she could be with Forrest and Joshua. Or... I honestly don't know where she is." I patted her shoulder reassuringly. Katlyn was our newbie, trained by the FBI for three years before her assignment to our station. Shannon and Katlyn hit it off very quickly, so I knew she wouldn't have let Katlyn go without an intention.

I slowly rose to my feet, keeping my back bent and my weight on my thighs. I peeked through the Lexus's windows, and spotted five Gypsies coming in our direction. "We got 5." I said quietly.

"How spread?" Shannon asked, unclipping her magazine to see how many bullets she had left. She snapped it back in and cocked her gun. "I can take the left."

I thought quickly about the Gypsies, and then the rest of the team. A small idea formed in my head. It wasn't too crazy, but if I didn't follow it out correctly, then there could be a problem. "Change of plans." I said, pushing the safety on the gun and slipping into the back waistband of my jeans. "I'm going to get into the car through the passenger side and slide into the drivers. I want you right behind me."

Shannon gave me a look, but nodded instead. There wasn't much time for her to argue over the issue. If she wanted to question me, she could do just that after we got back to the embassy.