009 ; The Day She Didn't Wake

Chapter Nine
The Day She Didn't Wake

---

Liam kneeled down next to Scott, who had his back to the wall. The Alpha's chest was heaving heavily as he glanced around the corner of the white-bricked building.

He nodded his head in Liam's direction before darting off into the pitch black dark towards the back entrance. Liam waited a few moments then ran after Scott.

Lydia stood in the fluorescent-lit hallway, her back to the werewolves. She didn't turn as Liam joined Scott. Her eyes were fixed on something in front of her.

Then she screamed.

An ear piercing screech that sent Liam and Scott to their hands and knees. Lydia faced them, her face as white as copy paper. A single tear slid down her cheek as she dazedly looked at the pair.

Lydia's now pale lips formed one word that Liam could barely hear. But when he registered it, his heart stopped beating.

"Peyton."

---

Stiles came running into the hospital, Peyton dangling limblessly in his arms. Liam shook his head in disbelief.

"What happened?" He asked, looking around at the frantic movements. His head couldn't keep up with everything that was happening.

Nurses were rushing in. Mrs. McCall was forcing her way to the front of them to see Peyton, who was now on a hospital bed with a breathing tube sticking out of her throat. Scott was questioning Stiles while Lydia remained unmoving. And at some point, Mason, along with Liam's stepdad had rushed in to see what the chaos was about.

"Liam," Mason's voice said as a hand touched his shoulder, "I'm sorry."

"What happened?" Liam asked again, this time more agitated.

"Liam-" He started to say.

Liam turned around and slapped his hand away, his eyes flickering yellow. "What happened?" He yelled.

His best friend stared at him, his eyes turning soft with sympathy for Liam. "They found her in the parking lot at the school passed out," Mason said gently.

Liam took in a sharp breath and cursed softly. "I need to see her." He said. He sprinted after the nurses and doctors, following them down the network of hallways until they finally wheeled Peyton into a room.

---

Peyton woke up, short of breath and grasping for something to hold onto. Her hands found metal bars on either side of her. She squeezed them until her knuckles turned white and she was able to breathe again.

The sound of beeping made her open her eyes and look to her sides. A heart rate monitor was giving off rhythmic beeps on her right. Peyton's eyes darted around the room, taking in the familiar hospital setting. Bothersome wires stuck out of her arms.

She sighed and yanked the wires out of her skin. Peyton looked at the small wounds they'd left behind, waiting for them to heal.

They didn't.

She slid out of the hospital bed and walked slowly over to the door of the dim lit room. A small clicking noise echoed through her head as she reached for the doorknob. She shook her head to clear it, and when it didn't she turned the knob.