Memories

"No. I would rather die myself than let you die. You are not going to go through that door and kill yourself saving people who can't be saved," a tear rolled down my mother's cheek as she clutched tighter to my father. Mother's voice was hushed, and I knew that she didn't want me to hear the conversation. Only nor she or my father knew that I was listening and peeking through the keyhole.

"Naomi, I must. Esther deserves a life where she doesn't have to fear the government enslaving her people, because of resisting the government's ways. And so do my future children," father looked at mother's round, expecting stomach. 

"David, you are a father and a husband. I-we- need you. Please don't leave us!" They were whisper shouting now. 

"Goodbye, Naomi. I love you, okay?" Father pulled away from mother's grasp, and went out the front door, and disappeared into the night before mother could utter her love.

I was then enveloped in a web of curiosity that only small children can own. I had to get to father. Then, the scene changes. I'm now in a long, empty hallway. On each side of me, there are prison cells. The prison cells are small and dirty, and contain a person, bloody and weak. I turn around, and see father fiddling with a key in one of the locks. Suddenly, the prison door clangs open, and a middle aged man is hugging him, and thanking him in Hebrew. Father tells him to escape before he gets caught. Father repeats the task with every prison cell. I stay frozen, yet father doesn't notice me. Until he gets to the prison cell closet to me. He looks up in shock at me. 

"Esther, what on Earth are you doing here?!"

"I help you! I help you!" I chant.

"You are a very naughty girl, Esther. You must escape, before you are caught. I need you to go, before big bad government hurt you. C'mon, we're getting out of here," he tells me louder than he wanted to.

 The scene changes again , and there are men in bullet proof vests shooting at us. Father's hand is on my hand, but then he yells, and his hand is no longer on my own. I scream as I see his chest, a bullet obviously lodged in there, his lifeless body still, eyelids shut. I scream again  for all I'm worth, because the men are walking to me slowly. The biggest man raises his gun, and fires.