Stardom - Chapter One

I couldn't believe it. My brother had finally booked a gig, and not just any gig. This was the  gig every garage band yearned for. This was the gig that made bands famous. This was a gig at the hottest teenage, and the occasional talent agent, hangout. This was Hudson's. Yes, Hudson's was a-maz-ing. Teenagers in the Brooklyn district went there every Saturday. The select few of us actually got in.

    When I heard this ever so wonderful news I almost fainted. After I regained sense, I tackled my brother in a hug, knocking him over. My brother isn't exactly a body builder. He is about six foot, 150 to 160 pounds, and has a faint six-pack, but nothing more. He still, somehow, manages to sway every female he meets. He isn't ugly, but he's nothing special, with my father's thin black hair and mom's bright hazel eyes.

    After Leland found his balance, and his breath, he assured me that he wasn't kidding. He showed me the check that Mr. Hudson gave us to play the gig. I almost lost consciousness when I saw the pay-out. Six hundred dollars. That was way more than Mrs. Polaris paid us to play at little Jimmy's birthday party. " Lee!" I screamed.

    " I know!" he exclaimed while jumping up and down.

    " I can't believe Desolate Embers is playing at Hudson's. The Hudson's." He gave me his wide smile.

    " I know, me either, usually Hudson goes for more mainstream bands, but he LOVED our demo."

    Desolate Embers was a band Lee and I first formed two years ago, right after I entered high school. Lee had been playing guitar since he was four, and I've always had a dream of singing. When Leland and I first pursued the band dream we had no idea what we were getting into. We only had two elements that were crucial to a band. We still needed at least a bass player and a drummer. Not even five months after we started the band we found our bass player, Recall, a guy my brother knew from school. Well, his name isn't actually Recall, it's Wyatt. Everyone calls him Recall because he has a photographic memory, and he remembers EVERY-thing. Recall is long, lean, and from my point-of-view, extremely HO- I mean handsome. He has bright blue eyes, and choppy brown- red hair with a few subtle blonde highlights. Recall is one of those guys that says everything with his eyes. Hardly ever do we actually have an out-loud conversation. We just kind of understand each other even though he's two years older than me.

    How we found our drummer is a more interesting story. Kiger isn't exactly what you would call an angel. We actually kind of ran into him, and I mean literally, as he was being chased by the cops. It was Halloween evening, Lee and I were just roaming the neighborhood, giving the occasional piece of candy to any random trick-or-treater. At about eight we heard screaming that sounded about like a dude around my age. We then met Kiger, after he knocked me over and fell on top of me. I screamed at him, of course. He had the most terrified, but excited, look on his face ever. It was astonishing. I knew from that point that some random force had brought him to me and Lee this very night. However when I looked up I just so happened to see what he was running from, a slightly obese cop that had been dowsed in ketchup and silly-string. Kiger then jumped off of me, and grabbed my hand to help me up. I thanked him. He looked me over and nodded as if he approved of how I looked. I rolled my eyes as the cop caught up, breathing heavy with hands on his knees.

    " Whoa, Mr. Peters, looks like you've had a bit of an accident. What did I tell you about your partying habits?" Kiger said in a slightly sarcastic voice, as if he owned this guy. From that moment on I was officially in love with him. Mr. Peters had the most irritated, or was it exhausted, look on his face. I giggled at Mr. Peters' current appearance.

    " Kiger Travern! You are in SO much trouble, young man." Mr. Peters announced. Kiger didn't looked phased in the least. He just kind of shrugged and flashed me a smile.