One

The water slowly rose up to my feet, sending cold chills in my body. The water repeatedly did its purpose, as I got used to it.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest, as I heard light footsteps running towards me in the sand. "Hello, Pearl." Connie greeted, pushing the glasses up on her nose.

"'Sup nerd." I responded, as I reached into my jacket's leather pocket. "What are you doing here?" Connie asked me, with a pencil behind her ear.

"The beach is the quietest place in this town." I answered uncivil, grabbing a cigarette.

"I thought you liked loud areas, for example, the Beach City Wrestling building? Or the Beach Club?" Connie asked, counting her fingers as she listed each specific place.

"Close it, geek. I know me, the 'bad Pearl', is supposed to like loud places. I do for a matter of fact, but everyone needs quietness some occasions." I explained, placing the cigarette in my mouth.

"Sorry, Pearl. I just was utterly confused." Connie apologized. I looked down at her. Those light colored boots she wore, the dress, the glasses, I don't really believe she could wear that every day.

"Listen, I need to go. I'll catch you around, kid." I told Connie, staring at her, making eye contact. "Okay. Bye!" She said, waving and smiling as I walked off.

That kid, I tell you. She's always clinging onto me no matter what happens.

I finally thought I was off of the hook, until I heard Connie's voice echoing from behind me. "Wait, Pearl!" She shouted, as she sprinted across the sand towards me.

"Do you think you can bring me home?" Connie asked, cupping her hands and looking down below her. "So you're saying your parents have no idea where you are?" I asked, as I let out a breath of smoke.

"Well, no. I mean– yes. They know I'm here but they don't know I'm with you here." She explained. "I don't get you. C'mon. Let's go."

We started to walk off towards Connie's house, until Connie spoke. "Sorry if I'm a bother. I just am not allowed to walk home by myself." She said, cupping her hands again.

"Well, you're a bother to me. And seriously? You can't walk home alone? No one will hurt you." I grunted, rolling my eyes.

"Well, you can't say that. And, you're really not afraid to tell the truth to anyone, huh?" Connie said, crossing her arms. "Well, basically. I have no fears. Nada."

"You have to at least have one fear, Pearl. That's impossible to have zero fears." She said, biting her lip with a slight shrug.

"Well, I thought you were a nerd." I responded, as we reached her house. "What do you mean, Pearl?"

I put the cigarette in between my fingers, and looked at her dubiously. "You said having zero fears is impossible. That's actually possible." I said, glaring.

"Well—" Connie was replying as her mother came outside of the complex. "Connie, there you are! Where have you been?" Her mother asked, running at her.

Then, of course, her father came running out. The first thing his eyes caught was me. "You." He deviously said, glaring harshly at me.

"Stay away from my daughter. And, quit smoking near our daughter too. Goodbye." Mr.Maeshwaren spoke, placing his hands on Connie's shoulders and walking inside.

Not giving a care about him, I walked off in the road as rain started to release.