A Love Story: What I've Been Looking For

A Love Story: What I’ve Been Looking For

  A man lost in the dark has seen a great light…a man finding his purpose in life has found something much more… He has found perhaps what he’s been looking for.

Act I: Devereux

Narrator:

Once, there was a region filled with wonder, a land like no other. However, its people began to squander the land’s resources and what was once a lush forest became a city that dominated everything in sight. This region was ruled by a triumvirate of the most powerful corporations of the city. For years, they were both reviled and respected. They took control of everything and it seemed like all was well but not everyone loved this new order (People walk the busy streets, not minding two frustrated teens there)

Girl 1:

You know what I’ve heard. Richmond has bought up all of the private schools in the area.

Girl 2:

That’s not true. St. Francis is still…

Girl 1:

Well yea, I mean, it is run by the Church after all.

Girl 2:

Still, you’re kinda right. It’s like he’s buying up all the remaining freedom we have left.

Girl 1:

Yea, the Three Companies. They’re getting bigger every day.

Girl 2:

It’s the same old routine. Companies getting richer, armies being raised, institutions torn up…

Girl 1:

Wait a minute…armies? Like private armies?

Girl 2:

Yea, just today, my sis told me she saw a bunch of military guys enter the Telecom building

Girl 1:

Get out! Really? (They walk into a crowded area)

Girl 2:

Yea and then recently, there’s been plenty of unrest in the downtown area.

Girl 1:

Must’ve been Diana and her “reform group” again.

Girl 2:

(sigh) Just wish there was something new going on. (The people stop and look at a newcomer pass by. Girl 1 looks at him) I mean if every day was gonna…(Girl 1 taps her shoulder and the two stare at the youth.) Oh my…who is he? (Music plays: “Wake Me Up When September Ends”)

Girl 1:

I…I dunno…(Note, Devereux is the young man. The young man continues to walk through town, getting everyone’s attention. He doesn’t seem to notice this. He passes by many people, bumps into a few but apologizes to them and goes his way. As the music plays, he tries to go around the busy streets. After some time, he makes it to St. Francis High. He looks up at the place. He enters school and sees its students, who look at him with interest. When music ends, he enters a classroom)

Narrator:

This was the story of a man in search of an answer…