Chapter 1

Writer's note: Even though this story could be read as a standalone work, I feel readers should read my previous two stories (Never Time to Say Goodbye and Burdens of the Son) first to fully appreciate it.

All it takes is a single ember to start a forest fire. But what if the winds of change never have a chance to fan that ember into flames? A single cup of icy water, poured on the right place at the right time, and the forest remains untouched.

Nick slurped his drink noisily before he spoke. "Tell me again, why do we keep hanging out at this place?"

Judy looked around the coffee shop while she spoke. "Because you hate that tiny closet I call home that has noisy neighbors and no TV?"

Nick nodded. "It's true. But you never want to hang out--"

Judy interrupted him. "And, since you always forget, I hate your place because it's also a tiny closet that takes forever to get to on transit. Plus you're the world's biggest slob."

"Ok Ok... but," Nick subtly indicated a nearby table, "why do you think those two always come here?"

Judy watched the porcupine and lynx for a minute out of the corner of her eye. The porcupine smiled at the lynx when he leaned in close and whispered to her.

Judy shrugged before she spoke hesitantly. "I dunno."

But Judy did know. The coffee shop was close to ZPD headquarters, and always had a constant stream of officers coming and going. It wasn't likely anyone would make a fuss about an interspecies couple there.

Judy worried what Nick might say if she pointed that out. So she went against her nature, as she gave in to fear and feigned ignorance instead.

Judy watched the two hold each other's paws in their own. "Do you think they're a... couple?"

Nick eyed her and took a bite from his blueberry muffin. "Is that so hard to believe?"

She took a sip of her drink and her ears drooped. "I guess I can't imagine dating anyone who wasn't a rabbit. And I'm not even sure how they even make... things... work. Aren't they afraid of hurting themselves, or their partner? Besides, I want to have kids someday."

The tiny ember, so small that neither the rabbit nor the fox had noticed it, faded and went out. Judy felt ashamed of what she'd said, and Nick wasn't sure why he felt disappointed, so he did what he always did when his feelings bothered him.

Nick laughed. "What, you'd let a few quills and claws stand in the way of true love, Carrots? And as for kids, they could always adopt."

"A predator-prey adoption... huh, I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before."

Nick finished his coffee. "You know, Officer Fluff, some mammals just enjoy each other's company, without making things complicated."

"Like us?"

Nick grinned. "Of course. What would you do without my good advice and our witty conversations? Besides, I'm glad you keep me from wasting my time and money on a girlfriend."

Judy pondered Nick's words, and then she felt terrible. She didn't want to be the cause of his unhappiness. Finding the right mammal for him would be tough, but she never shied away from a challenge. She also thought a cute vixen might be just the incentive he needed to clean up his apartment.

It took a few months, but she finally stumbled on a way to fix something she mistakenly thought she'd broken.

Nick and Judy made their way across the ZPD lobby as they hurried to the morning briefing.