Junior Prom

No one in America should ever be afraid to walk down the street holding the hand of the person they love.

- Barack Obama

So I am a 17 year old girl and heading into my senior (12th) year of high school. Almost a technical adult in America. I live in a very narrow minded small town in the middle of nowhere Michigan. I've always vaguely considered myself  somewhere on the lgbtq spectrum. It was something that would surface every once in a while and I would just repress it mostly, until my junior year prom rolled around. I was dateless, and so was my friend so we were going to go to prom together just as gal pals. All fun and games. Until I couldn't keep it repressed anymore. Like I pretty much knew I was questioning my sexuality or whatever but I had never actually been faced with an opportunity to actually be my true self and embrace my sexuality.

So I finally decided with myself that I would embrace it. I planned out a huge romantic promposal where I got the honors choir to come into her chemistry class and serenade her, then I popped out of a supply closet with a sign that I made that said "PROM?" and she literally cried happy tears and hugged me. At this point though I was still keeping up the facade with everyone in the school that it was all platonic and we were just hella good friends. But really I thought like I buttered her up pretty good with this whole promposal thing and so now on prom night she might want to be like a real actual date.

So then, 2 days before the big night I was at a party and I may or may not have been under the influence of alcohol. Honestly, I was plastered. I just kept thinking in my drunken stupor about this girl that I'm going to prom with and I just kept picturing myself with my arms around her or pulling her in really close to me. I mean hell the day before that I couldn't stop doodling little pictures in my algebra 2 notes of my prom night fantasies. I just kept thinking she deserves better than all of these guys she dates they don't see how great she is like I do and all of that romantic crap because I was love blind. Thanks to vodka and peach schnapps, I got the brilliant idea to text her and confess all of my feelings. She was really nice with her reply and she didn't reject me or really shut me down so I took that as a good sign.

Then prom night came, and after I got my makeup done I went to my dates house to finish getting ready and just hang out with her while she got ready. I got there and she was still in pajamas with no make up on and her mom was doing her hair and honestly she looked stunning like that. I wanted to just skip prom and stare at her for the whole night because damn she looked good. My heart was beating in my throat the whole time but I really think I did a good job at keeping my cool. Then her mom's friend came over because he bought her her corsage or whatever and he was talking and everyone was just casually chatting and somehow we got on the topic of smoking weed and he asked me if I did and I said yeah and he asked me if I wanted to get baked and I said duh (Which this part isn't really relevant to the story but I just think it's funny that I got stoned with some random guy that I've never met before my junior prom). So we went outside and he was asking me how long I knew her and all of that and we were talking about how we hate all of the boys she's dated.

After that her family wound up getting to her house to take pictures. I still have all of the pictures of her and I from that night. Then we went to our other friends house for food and more pictures at a park. So at this point there were four of us, all girls just going stag.... Except me who was convinced this was a real date because I'm dumb. At this point I should probably start giving people names so you don't lose track of who is who. So, our driver and the persons house we ate at, we will call her Stacie, then her date (just friends for real) we will call Ramona, then my date, the girl I really liked, we will call Simone. 

So Ramona, Stacie, Simone, and I left for prom with Ramona and Stacie in the front and Simone and I in the back. Exactly how I pictured it in my head. We were rolling down the highway jamming to rap songs and honestly just not giving a fuck.