Chapter One

It's been a year since we have been engaged. Our wedding hasn't even been planned yet, considering we are still pretty young to even consider planning a wedding. It would have to be small, if anything. I began working at a nursing home in my home town a month after I proposed. I get paid pretty good, and Leonie began working at Target as well.

We had to make enough money to pay for the rent, and if it was just me working we'd barely pass by with it. I still had to finish my senior year of high school, too. Luckily, Leonie was planning on working. My father helped us, too. He'd occasionally come over and visit for a few nights with us, too, since he offered to pay the majority of it until I graduated high school.

-

It was the beginning of August, and captain's practice for volleyball started. We put up the three volleyball nets in the school's gym. We had three nets set up for the three different leveled teams: Varsity, Junior Varsity, and C-Squad. As I helped put up one of the Varsity nets, which was in the center of the gym, I noticed JV (Junior Varsity) setting up their nets. After I tightened the net, I went over to help them, because they seemed to be taking a while to set theirs up. The rest of the Varsity team began passing a ball back and forth with a partner.

"Alaina, I'll be there in a second! I'm going to help them set up their volleyball net really quick!" I called out to my friend.

"Alright, I'm going to fill my water bottle up, then!" she responded.

I walked up to two girls trying to pull the net over the top of one of the poles. I know I probably couldn't put it up, because I was still short, but I had a good vertical jump. So, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I poked one of the girls trying to get it on the pole.

"Oh, hi," the girl said sweetly.

"Hey, Kimberly," I responded. "Need some help?" I offered.

She nodded. The other girl beside Kimberly just watched. Her thin lips formed a small smirk on her face. Her eyes looked as if they were focused on the top of the pole. She raised her right hand and began waving. I turned my head and saw a muscular boy, her age, who waved back. I rolled my eyes.

I jumped held the loop at the end of the net and crouched down by the pole. I jumped and pulled the rope over the pole, pulling the loop over one of the screws near the top of the pole. I let go and the net hung in place loosely.

"There you are," I said and smiled.

"Thank you," Kimberly smiled widely. The other girl was still staring at the boy. She ruffled her short, black hair with her hands.

I began walking away until Kimberly's voice stopped me. "Hey, Cassie?"

I turned to look at her. She tightened the net a little more, then turned to face me. She took the ponytail out of her light brown hair, and began to put it back up in a pony. "What's up?"

"I was just wondering if I could have a ride home? Please?" She tightened the pony, then looked at me and smiled widely once more. I noticed her canine teeth were kind of sharp. Her facial structure stuck out more when she smiled, revealing her inverted triangle structure. She raised her eyebrows as she smiled and put her hands behind her back. She leaned in a bit and tilted her head slightly.

I laughed. "Of course."

I noticed Alaina was finished with filling her water bottle, because she was performing wall hits against the wall. "Ready?" I asked, jumping and grabbing the ball before she could spike it again. She gave me a deathly glare for taking the ball away from her.