Chapter Three: I Hate that Jerk!

Keerthy

I am so happy that I am home after so many hours of university! There's no kidding that university is nothing like high school. It isn't. My classes used to be 90 minutes. Now, they are three hours! Three hours! How can anyone keep her attention span for that long? There is a fact that one's attention span is long as the person's age in minutes. In other words, my attention span is as long as 18 minutes! That explains my lack of concentration in the lecture halls! I started to fall asleep halfway into the lectures. I am so grateful to have Raji in all of my classes. She woke me up every time I started nodding off to sleep. I don't know how I would have survived today if it wasn't for her.

Anyways, I can finally relax. My goodness! I forgot about that heaping amount of work that I have from all of my classes! I guess I spoke too soon. The work can wait. There will always be work, but there is no such thing as too much sleep. I value my sleep more than food and that says a lot. I am going to sleep for a couple of hours. After all, it is only after I sleep, I am the most active. Did I ever mention that I am nocturnal? I don't sleep at night. The latest I have ever slept was 4 am. Right as I was about to close my eyes to catch a few z's, Amma beckoned me over to the dining table.

Amma asked, worried "Keerthy maa, is everything alright? You went straight to your room right after you came home. I remember how you used to tell me everything that used to happen in school as soon as you came home when you were a kid. Is anything wrong?"

"Nothing is right, Amma. I had an encounter with this idiot. I see him everywhere. Everywhere! It's like he never leaves my sight. Life is so not fair." I know I was exaggerating, but that just shows how angry I am to see that loser. It was moments like this where I wished that Amma would just be Amma and not my nanbi (female friend in Tamil). I couldn't leave her hanging, so I decided to open up. I needed to release that energy somewhere anyways. I am close to Raji, but I didn't want to open old wounds around her. There are just somethings that you can't tell your friend, no matter how close you are to that person.

"Oh, that's all? I thought something more dramatic happened. I don't know! Your teachers caught you snoring in class or you embarrassed yourself in one of your lectures!" Amma adds in.

I admitted, "I did embarrass myself in class. I embarrassed myself in my first class to be exact. Ma'am asked me why I wanted to be a computer engineer and I froze up. I didn't want to tell her the real reason why I wanted to be a computer engineer. It's strange how she asked that question in the class that the idiot also happened to be in. I couldn't exactly tell her that I didn't know the answer when I damn well knew the answer. In order to avoid her gaze, I looked around the whole room only to be met with those eyes again. I quickly averted my gaze and looked at my hands instead. Ma'am realized that I wouldn't answer her question, so she asked the idiot to answer that question. Do you know what he did? He answered her question! He answered her question with so much enthusiasm, so much pride. I had to stop myself from strangling him. It was my first day and he had to ruin it. That was not all. He also taunted me for tripping him. I admit that it was my fault in the first place. So what? I apologized. Any normal person would accept my apology and move on with life. Do you know what he did? He made fun of my face! I hate that jerk."

Sizing up the situation, Amma responds, "Keerthu, Keerthu, Keerthu, I wasn't expecting you to open up that much! Get a hold of yourself! It's okay. It was your first day. Take a chill pill. You are stressing yourself out too much. Relax. Tell you what. Why don't you go to bed and we'll talk after okay? I know how much you value your sleep."

Wanting to reunite with my bed, I headed to my room. I slept for what seemed to be hours. I woke up to my ringtone blasting in my ears.

~Anbe anbe, kadhal varudhey, Siren kooda song-ah varudhey, Un pinne heart-um varudhey, Adhu kooda beatum varudhu, Tubelighta pola pechum, Thikki varudhey~ ["I'm So Cool"; Kaaki Sattai]