It Started With A Dingdong [short story]

"Promise you'll find me?"

"Sure!" 

"And marry me?"

"With pleasure!"

- - - - - - - 

"Sssst...ssst....sssst"

Aaah...the sound of cicadas. Summer is finally here.

I'm Sophia. 'Pia' in short. Currently living alone. An ultimate newbie in this town.

"Ding dong...Ding dong"

Who's there? In the middle of summer?!  Most importantly, who would ever know a crippled person like me?

"Coming!" , I shouted.

I was looking at the window at that time. On the second floor to be precise. At the balcony. I only wanted to greet Mr. Sunshine and watch as the little kids play in the neighborhood.I hurried downstairs. Of course, since I'm alone, it was a little hard for me, but no worries. I'm already used to it.

I opened the door. It's just a normal door; no designs or whatever. A plain one.

"Who's there?" I asked. I looked at the little peephole; in case it's some hoodlum playing pranks.

"It's me" A man's voice came out.

"W-who?"

"The postman. I'm here to deliver a letter."

Wooo! That rattled me. 

*Oh Pia, your imagination's gone wild XD.

I opened the door. The postman was shocked at first to see me in a wheel chair but he handed it.

"Thanks" I said.

I opened the letter.

"To whom it may concern:

Please move at once. Someone is after your life."

Oh God. Please let this be a prank. Who would be after me? I'm living alone. Peacefully. Disabled. Quiet. I didn't harm anyone or cause any discomfort.I started crying.

*Where am I going? Is this my end? Am I gonna die?

I tried to calm myself and tried to contact my parents. It's my habit to call them whenever I'm in despair. In this world, it's only rare for a disabled like me to have a friend. Well, I did have one. But he's not now here.

It was too late when I realized that I'm all alone in this world.

Why's God so harsh? Did He put all the miserable parts on me?

"Ding dong...Ding dong"

Someone's at the door again.

"Coming!" I shouted as I approached the door and opened it.

"Pizza for the little miss" A pizza man in uniformed said smiling.

The postman?

"B-but I didn't ordered one. And are you the postman earlier?" I'm confused.

"Postman? Oh, you must be mistaking me for someone. And besides, the pizza's ordered for you. Look."

The postman- err I mean, the pizza man, handed me something.

It's true. My name's there. 

I accepted the pizza and thank the man.

Weird.

-the next day-

"Ding dong...Ding dong"

Why do I keep getting these 'Ding dongs?'. I'm sick you know.