The Princess & The Mermaid

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Clemore lived the royal family Clemore. King Azer and Queen Eleanor had a single child, their daughter Princess Avangeline. Princess Avangeline was gorgeous beyond imaginable. I mean absolutely beautiful, everyone including those from kingdoms far away wanted her hand in marriage. The princess did not find this favorable, she wished for peace and time. Time to read her books and learn what the world held.

   One day Princess Avangeline slipped away from the ceremony held in honor of the friendship between the neighboring kingdom and her own. The princess was glad for her father, but she was certainly aware of King Peter's son, Sir Charles' flirtations. Her escape took her to the outskirts of town. Far beyond the forest to Lake Azure. The princess made her way down the gravel path out of the woods. Pebbles tumbled down the steep path and the princess rid herself of those ridiculous shoes. She stepped onto cool gray sand and gave a sigh of relief. The water stretched far past what the eye could see. Waves tinted cobalt reflected the clear sky like a wine glass. Even the towering pine trees rippled in the lake. No people bustled about far out here. Birds tweeted so rarely one might think they were extinct. A frog croaked upon a tall rock to the princess' left. In the silence she decided to finally sit down. Her consuming white dress engulfed the princess as she sat. Frustrated the princess snatched off her glistening gloves and ripped out her hair constrictions. Next, laces loosed upon her corset and off with the skirt of the dress. The princess sat in her under dress with wild hair. At last she was alone and free. Well, at least that is what she thought. Deep into the lake resting upon the water's surface was a lonely mermaid. Long soaking brunette hair floated around her. Bright green eyes, freckles, and a short nose were the only features visible. The mermaid noticed the princess at the lake's edge. Wanting to get a closer look she dipped under the water. The mermaid flicked her tail and made her way to a rock that erected from her home. Bubbles clouded her vision before she popped up. The mermaid was finally able to get a good look at the princess and she was stunned. Never had she seen a creature of such beauty. Cascading hair white as the burning sun, bold marine eyes, freckles splattered like bubbles in sea foam, delicate hands, and an odd lack of clothing. The mermaid sighed and smiled leaning upon the rock. She tilted to her right and found herself nose to mouth with a frog. It let out a loud croak. The mermaid shouted and fell back into the water. A splash clear from the forest shocked the princess. She stood quickly backing from the water.

"Who's there?" The princess shouted. The mermaid did not wish to loose sight of the princess so she let herself lay before the lake's shore. Half of her submerged as she rested her cheek on her hand. The mermaid brushed her hair back.

"Hello, ma chérie," spoke the mermaid in an enchanting voice. Princess Avangeline stepped back in surprise. She did not think she would find a single soul out here, let alone in the lake.

"And who are you," quizzed the princess.

"Mercury," said the mermaid quickly. The princess was not sure what the make of the stranger. Was this safe? Surely not. "What business might you have way out here, gorgeous?" The princess quickly forgot her worries. She returned to the sand and talked with the water girl.

   Hours passed and the princess told the strange girl of her troubles. In return, the mermaid listened. All too quickly the sun began to make its bed on the horizon.

"Night is falling," mentioned Avangeline.

"So it is," retorted Mercury unable to take her eyes off the princess. She had fallen in love. They way she spoke, her beauty, her intelligence, her thought process, everything.

"I must go," sighed Avangeline. The mermaid felt a tug in her chest.

"Must you really? I do so enjoy your company, beautiful," Mercury pouted. The princess stood collecting her things. She began to trace the lake side. The mermaid followed rapidly in the water. "Return tomorrow, princess, if you like."