Hike over matter

Ahh Nordegg country. Or in our case. The land of the lost.
We began our trek on the path like any normal hiker, but despite having a 30 dollar wealth of knowledge to reference, we thought it best to follow some pretty coloured clay pigeons. Because that's how first time hikers roll.
So on we went. Stopping to enjoy the beautiful calm water and mossy forest floors. Which was all fine and good until water gave way to hills and moss to char and decay. But we are first time hikers we know what we are doing. I'm no expert, but I mean, following the path into a highway, is generally not a sign that all's well in this hiking adventure. So instead of thinking, " man, we shouldn't hit a road, maybe we should consult 'The Book' and gain our bearings that way." No. Instead we just backtrack a kilometre or two until we see the first intersection of paths. And take the other route instead. Seemed logical for about 7 km, until we hit a bloody atv track. And suddenly, all hope of knowing where we were was gone. We have a mountain to our left and series of dirt tracks to our right. We have already hiked probably 10-15km  at this point. But it's ok, if we were tired we couldn't tell because there was plenty of bear tracks and droppings to keep that adrenaline pumping.
And now I'm leading a crew that's battered and beaten without a clue where we are or where we are going. But it's alright. All we have to do is get up high to find a vantage point, see where the lake is and head in that direction right? That statement is in the same caliber as, " every marathon starts with the first step" No. I took about a 1.5km hike up this "hill" that's steeper than the stock market crash in 2008, still don't hit the top. But I descend as I had left my two friends at the bottom to rest. Great logic in the wilderness. " oh rest here tired and defenceless while I fuck off into barely traversed forest alone"
I meet back up with them and we decide that finding a vantage point is a good idea. So up again I go, along with my crew this time. Don't worry now all three of us can take advantage of the single can of bear spray we brought. #Staying safe 2016
We must of broke 2km up, but probably 4km east. bushwhacking or following game trails I don't know, I just won't ask a specialist. It lets me play a bit of schrodingers hikers.
It's 6:00pm now and moral is spent. One knee is swollen like a cantaloupe within the group, and the wind is picking up. This is where panic starts to grip the hearts of each of us. Thoughts of calling 911 to get us the hell out of here, and an unwillingness to strain our already broken bodies are hanging in the air. But it's almost dark, we are about 1km below the ridge line I figure. 2km above that atv trail, a road  about 5km east, and the lake 5km of straight bushwhacking to the west ( and over the ridge). So heading towards the road seemed the best idea. For we had a chance of being picked up. And god knows we needed it.
So off we go rolling down the hill. Or so it felt. Falling through countless spider webs and busting out a few tears. Thankful, albeit half alive, we made it to the path.
None of us had any energy at this point but man, hope of salvation is a powerful thing. So on we went like shuffling zombies toward a gun shot. Sore step after sore step for 5km or so. And like a holy miracle, a ray of light illuminates one gigantic family playing around a camper. Displaying a level of care free glee that I thought had been locked away from our minds forever. So as if thieves planning a heist we create a plan on how to convince these people to give us a ride back to camp.
Our plan didn't work well. It was a bit of stuttering on my part and awkward " why are strangers in our camp" sort of deal. But friendly they were. Just enough to point out that we were either stupid or brave to be out in this country with only a stick and some spray to protect us. I consider this another one of them schrodinger moments. Then like magic the sad state of affairs we were in, the story of how far we had walked, and the fact that one was attracted to the girl in our group, led them to offer us the very treasure we tried to talk our way into. They drove us 17km back all the while stating how we were the people they hear about in the news, " Hikers get mauled out in the nordegg area." But no. I like to think we are a mixture of lucky and survival experts to have done as much with as little as we had.
They find our vehicle and with abundant thanks but no gifts of appreciation we made our farewells. We decide to eat a meal on our way back, to symbolize the lack of one that we were for the wildlife of Nordegg country.