August 28th 1610

August 28th 1610

Ebony looked down at her hands, as Malachi gently slid the ring onto her finger. The goofiest grin on his face. She smiled back, the ring glittering. It was beautiful, gold, studded with small diamonds and inlaid in the gold, was a large stone prettier, even than the diamonds. The stone itself was darker than any ruby she had ever seen, but as she stared at it the colour changed to a lighter red, as if the stone was flickering. Pulsing in the moonlight.

None of the guests found it strange that they were marrying in the middle of the night. Ebony and Malachi were known to be strange people, but nobody besides the happy couple knew how strange. Ebony so full of light, and Malachi barely staying afloat in the sea of darkness trapped within his body. Together, they made a strange couple, they were opposites, but neither could be happier.

The priest's voice broke through Ebony's thoughts and she tore her eyes away from the ring. She wondered where Malachi had gotten the money to buy it, and where he had bought it from. She knew he had accumulated much wealth over time, but he was by no means rich, and only a rich man could buy a ring so fine.

"You may now kiss your bride," the priest announced. Ebony smiled, and Malachi wrapped her up in his arms, and kissed her fiercely. She felt herself blush, there were many people watching. Malachi pulled away from her smiling, and took her hand. His presence calmed her, and whispering she told him, "I love you Mal."

"I love you too." He whispered back, kissing her on the top of the head. Staying close by her side, they greeted their guests, all of them eager to congratulate the both of them. It was a whirlwind of conversations, and it felt like forever before she was finally alone with Malachi. He smiled at her, pulling them down onto the floor in front of a warm fire.

She was startled by the movement, and let out a small squeal, which only made him laugh. "Mr Davidson, you should not laugh. It is rude to laugh at a damsel in distress," she said mock teasing him, and gently leaning her head against his chest, the fire warming her.

"I think you will find that I can laugh at my wife whenever I please," he said, snaking his arm around her waist. "Mrs Davidson."

She smiled, her eyes travelling back to the ring. "Mal, its beautiful. How could you ever afford it?"

He kissed her softly on the neck, nuzzling her, "Secrets."

"Mal," she said her tone a warning, despite the ring being the farthest thing from her mind at that point in time. She was alone with her husband, and she could feel her skin spark and tingle, where he was running his fingers over her arms, her collarbone, her face.

"I made it," he said, clearly not thinking about the ring either. With his speed and strength, he turned Ebony so her back was now to the fire, and her face inches from his. "It's a bloodstone," he uttered, his voice clouded with layers of lust.

He leaned in, and she lost herself in his kisses.