[0] invincible

"PETER ACE MATTHEWS, you are charged with harassment, trespassing, impeding on federal investigation, assault and battery, and resisting arrest. How do you plead?"

"Guilty."

"Thank you Mr. Matthews."

Anytime, I didn't say to the annoyingly high-pitched electronic voice. God forbid I ticked off the emotionally dead judge and receive a longer sentence. Listening to its voice was punishment enough.

"Is the parent or guardian of the defendant present?"

I snorted. My lawyer, John, gave me a warning look out of the corner of his eye, before saying, "No."

"Will the Prosecuting Attorney state his name for the record?"

"Devon Lisse." The smug little brat announced, as if someone besides Judge Jax actually cared.

Thank you Mr. Lisse. Will the Defense Attorney state his name for the record?"

"John Thovex," John said confidently.

"Thank you Mr. Thovex. Members of the jury, please rise and raise your right hand. Do you solemnly swear to listen carefully to the evidence and arguments which are presented in this case, and fulfill your duty to determine a sentence that is fair to the defendant, the victim, and the community? If so, say 'I do'."

Dozens of voices — all electronic — collided in an ear-maiming symphony of monotonous 'I dos'. I cringed. Definitely worse than the prison sentence.

"You have been picked as jurors and have promised to do a good job. Remember, the defendant is guilty of the charges made against him. Your sole duty is to determine what sentence is fair and appropriate. Prosecution, are you ready to begin?"

"Yes your honor." Devon's beady little eyes wandered to mine, filled with excitement.

"The prosecution may make its opening statement."

This was going to be a blast.

* * *

We lost. Of course we did. We always lost, so I didn't get why John was rambling, as though we'd actually stood a chance.

"It's such bullshit," He muttered, despite being in the presence of several a guards as he struggled to keep up. I cracked a smile.

"You're acting like I've never been arrested before."

"Yeah, about that," He panted. We turned a sharp corner around the hall of the penitentiary as we were lead to the holding cells. "We need to have a talk about your antics."

"Later, John, I've got a prison sentence to serve first," I replied. Before John could undoubtedly go on a tirade, we turned another corner and began walking past a few other guards, most of which I recognized. "Larry, Needles, Backstrom, good to see you guys."

"Welcome back, Pete." Said Backstrom, the largest and beefiest of the three, with a wry smile.

"What are you in for this time?" Larry asked while scratching his wiry mustache.

"Few minor things," I shrugged as the guards beside me attempted to shove me along. "I'll be here for a month or so."

"Only a month?" Needles raised his eyebrows, which were composited of hairs so thin they looked like little brown needles, thus his namesake. "Didn't you break Douglas' nose?"

"Semantics," I shrugged again. "I guess they realize it's pointless keeping me here longer when there are people out there committing actual crimes."

"Because breaking an officer's nose isn't an actual crime." Needles snorted.

This time when the guards shoved me along, I didn't resist and allowed them to take me to my cell — my new home for the next month. They pushed me in none too gently, then proceeded to take the cuffs off my wrists before backing out of the room completely, and slamming the iron bars shut. John, seeing that I wasn't in the mood for one of his lectures, merely sighed before he bid me goodbye, leaving me alone.

I laid down on the itchy, dirt-caked mattress and set my forearm over my eyes, hoping to get some much needed rest. As I did, I could faintly hear a conversation in the distance.

"...kid's wasting his life. Thinks he's some kind of hero or something."

"Hope he learns his lesson before he gets hurt."

"He won't, you know he won't. But the kid ain't invincible. It's only a matter of time."

I couldn't help but smirk. Small-minded people always looked at the big picture and not the bits and pieces in between. They simply couldn't see them.

So while it may appear that I had lost, I was actually the biggest winner of them all. And that was impossible not to smile at.

* * *

Hey guys!

The prologue of Quicksilver is here! I didn't expect to finish it tonight, but I was feeling inspired so here you go :).

Also, I think a huge apology is in order:

I've been trying to write Unafraid since December of last year, and I've hardly gotten anywhere before I've just given up and stopped, and tried to take a different route. I'm really sorry to all those who were excited for the story, only for me to take it down or not update. It wasn't fair to you, but I couldn't help it. It's so hard to write something that you feel absolutely no inspiration and drive for, and I felt like the previous versions just didn't do it, and I want to write something that you guys would like, but also I would be proud of. The previous versions did not make me feel proud.

There's no saying whether the same thing will happen with Quicksilver, but I will try my absolute best to make sure that it doesn't. I've got tons of ideas, and I'm very excited, so hopefully this will be the time I finally get through the story!

Few clarifications before we continue:

1. This story is set in the future. But it's not going to be really hyper about technology and all that (mainly because I just don't get technology at all). Just think of our time, but a little more advanced.

2. The judge and jury are technologically controlled beings. They allow human lawyers to come in and use their emotional drive to make their best argument, and then the judge and jury only look at the logical facts to make their final decision. Other than that humans are mostly kept in lower positions, such as the guards. I'll keep clarifying as we go through and introduce more aspects.

So, how did you like it? Excited for it? I sure am! Let me know in the comments!

xoxo,
twyla