Chapter 3: First Day of School

I dig through my bag. Clothes are falling out and hitting the dirt ground. Eventually I find an envelope with another letter in it from Father.

Talia,

From the information that Jasper has given me, it has come to my attention that you are a procrastinator. That you most likely started to study the American culture, but failed to finish. Which makes me nervous about you going on this mission, but I'm going to have to trust you because you're the only one who would take the potion, knowing the side effects.

Side effects? All I got was a list of what to do and a note at the bottom saying to never kiss anyone. Which is gross. I still don't see why anyone would ever want to do that.

Jasper got you an apartment and a fake I.D. From now on you are Talia Sanchez. You just moved to California from Vermont. You are 16 years old and have an emancipation status. Starting tomorrow, you are a junior at Berkeley High School. So as they say in America, I guess "good" luck. And do not fail me.

I look through the rest of the envelope that carried the letter and find a small sticky note with my address written on it and $500 cash. What the heaven is all this for?

In hell, I never had to pay for anything. I don't think anybody did. Which is probably why there was so much destruction outside of the torture chambers. Not going to lie, I kinda already miss slitting the throats of those who question my father. I can't imagine what would happen to me if I went back there and he found out what I was planning.

It's something that would cause no harm to anyone. So of course he would despise it. I may be his daughter but he has never shown any care for me unless it was for his own benefit. So you know what?

I take the letter out of my bag and rip it up into tiny pieces. They sit there in a pile as the wind hits. They fly out of the palm of my hand as they travel through the woods. I look down and give my middle finger to the ground. "My father can go to heaven for all I care!"

Putting the left strap of my bag on my shoulder, I find my way out of the woods and look for the beginning of my new life.

------------------------------------------

It was pretty easy to find my new place. Something I didn't even think of is that earth is literally like the other side of a mirror to hell. The coordinates are exactly the same. This is the same address of my apartment in hell. The only difference is the actual place.

There's a brand new couch in the middle of the hardwood floor and a dark brown polished coffee table right in front of it. There's a small hallway with the bathroom on the left side of the wall. And at the end of the hall is a small kitchen that's painted light blue.

"I don't think this place could get anymore.. What's the word.. Nice?" I say to myself. I walk to the fridge and assume there are no severed body parts in there like my old one.

Someone grabs my shoulder and I pull out my knife and point it to her throat. She drops a box she was holding and puts her hands up. As the box hits the floor, I hear something shatter.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" I say, not putting the knife down. She starts shaking as she answers. "It's cool. I'm not here to rob you."

To what?

"I'm Katie. I guess you're my new roommate." She says in a panicked voice. I take a small step closer. "I'm your what?"

"New roommate." She still has her hands up and for some reason, water starts leaking out of her eyes. I drop my knife on the floor and grab her face to see what's wrong with her. "What is happening to you?"