Feeling The Wind

I don't have any wings. That's a weird first detail to say about myself, but it might be the most important. Wings just fascinate me. How birds can fly freely in the sky, leaving the world behind and diving against the wind. How majestic and beautiful a pile of feathers can be if arranged in the right way, giving you the possibility to fly off into the abyss.

I'm obviously human. And humans can't have such things as wings. But when has impossibility ever stopped anyone from dreaming?

It's moments like these when I really want to fly away. When I feel captive in my room. Well actually, I am captive, or so I promised Richie. That I wouldn't come out no matter what. I liked when his friends came over, just hearing their voices echo in our cold, silent house. They only came over when our mom was away, so quite often really. I decided to peek downstairs and see if they're watching a horror movie. Maybe Richie will let me watch it with them, I wouldn't disturb them, I'd be quiet...

'What are you doing? I told you to stay in your room.' Richie glared when he saw me.

Smoke was coming out of the kitchen.

'Is there a fire?' I asked.

'No, go away.' His friends came out of the kitchen, giving me weird looks. 'That's just my sister,' he tried to explain,' ignore her, she's pretty nuts.'

He was embarrassed. 'Sorry to interrupt. I was just leaving.'

Was I? Anyway, I got out of the house as quickly as possible, eager to breathe some fresh air. No, fresh air wasn't enough. I needed to go to the forest.

I ran alone, in the dark, feeling the chill rise up my skin. I avoided the crowded streets, I hate loud noises. They remind me too much of school. Of all the mean jokes. Or maybe just the frightened looks they give me, as if I'm some kind of maniac.

Finally, I reached my destination. I climbed up the tallest tree of the forest until i reached the top. And i just stood there, holding my hands as if I was in a Titanic scene, feeling amazing. Being up there, the wind blowing against my face, it almost felt like flying. It felt like magic, this place, this tree. Could it be that I was happy?

I thought of my brother having fun with his friends. I thought of all the friends I had that pushed me away. I hought of my mom who never really thought of me. And I pitied them. They'll all be nothing compared to me when I'll have wings.