Salt Packets [DISCONTINUED]

'Dear New New Diary,

Hi, I'm Veronica, I'm from New York, New Dead. Er-- What you know as New York, New York. They changed it after the cellular anything-but-salt eating monsters from some spaceship that had finally made it's long orbit back to us to give us information, the... reason why we sent it out...heh. Anyway... I'm heading back into the salt mines so those nasty buggers can't get me.

~Veronica'

I looked up from the blank book I had found. I would have to quicken my pace if I didn't want to get eaten. I looked around from the once green hill I was on top of, it was now brown and void of all life. Like most of the surrounding area there wasn't a soul around, other than me and my cat. I trudged down the huge hill and back on the dirt road that many others had made before me. About 30 minutes later I could see the uncovered salt mine that had been made by other people, survivors. They were no longer there, they were long gone, along with most of the world, they had all either been eaten or had gone to the so called 'safe place'. I didn't believe them though.

I had my salt packets so I wasn't scared of anything these monsters could think of, it's not like they can really even come in. It is a salt mine after all, the one thing that kills them. I had been here for about 5 months alone after a dash-for-my-life from my underground bunker. They had found me and chewed their way through, it was a very VERY close call, lets keep it at that.

I had some fire-wood left, That stuff was really rare to come by these days. I would have to get something to store them in along with my food and matches and flashlight. I had found a stream that had probably been a huge river some time back, so that was my water source. I was growing some small trees too, I had found the seeds in some hole that I had stepped into on the same day, I had also found a abandoned house with a bunch of vegetable and plant seeds in it, that had been a good day.

The vegetables and fruits had grown, but the trees were only little saplings, but maybe they will be able to make oxygen for a whole family one day. The small trees also attracted food to come and eat the leaves, so I would just have to wait and the food comes to me. Animals are scarce, the monsters wiped most of them out when they got loose, along with most of the people too. The only things that really survived those creatures were humans, deer, dogs, cats, rats, and birds. Humans were sly and crafty and had salt traps everywhere like me. Deer could run really really fast and had excellent senses. Dogs and cats were buddy buddy with the humans, I have a cat with me somewhere, I call him Misko. The rats were small and could eat anything, and were usually hiding in human supply boxes, they also make a good snack. The birds could fly, the only thing the huge monstrous beasts couldn't do, but the lack of trees made it hard for them to protect their young and make nests to sleep in so they are gradually disappearing.

I was deep in my salt cave now, the people before me had made air shafts to let in light and air, lucky me. I looked around for my cat, Misko, he has to be here somewhere. I checked under my desk and then under my mat and pillow where I slept, nope. I then checked his favorite box in the corner with a blanket in it, when I lifted the blanket up I found him sleeping lazily. Apparently I had woken him up because he then jumped out of the box and went to his food dish, meowing for his daily meal. I sleepily got him his can of tuna I had found in this very mine and gave it to him.

My next course of action was to turn on the radio I had salvaged in one of the junk yards scattered across this used to be city/park. I had found more batteries so hopefully it would work now. I pulled up a packet of salt, some crackers, and a sandwich that consisted of rat meat, some bread I found, ketchup from the bottle (brought from my bunker), and some spinach leaves that I had farmed myself. I flipped the little makeshift switch and held my breath.