Chapter One

Oak Ridge,  2011.

The morning sun spilled sloppily into my bedroom. It danced across the moss green walls and over my white and gold furniture. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and sighed.

School.

I may love to learn but that doesn't excuse my classmates awful demeanor. They act like wild boars with no manners.

I strutted across the bamboo flooring and opened my closet doors. Without thinking or hesitating I grabbed a rose petal colour silk blouse and flare jeans. They may be outdated, but they are a shield to repell any changes in my life.  I turned back to the full length mirror in the corner.

I ran a paddle brush through my hip length, honey coloured hair. It looked like endless drapes of soft bronze silk cascading down every curve. I inspect every aspect of my face. My ivory skin was free of blemishes, thankfully. My petite nose was centered perfectly in my heart shaped face.

My full, plump pink lips didn't need any lip gloss, not that I enjoy the wet, sticky feeling of it.

I lightly brushed a flush of blush over my apple cheeks. That was only make up I ever wore.

I glanced at the eyeliner my older sister Mia bought me. I wouldn't dare interfere with the magic of my eyes. They were the only thing that separate's me from the crowd. At the first look, they appear a dusty gray, like the ocean during a storm. Then as you examine them you can see the deep swirls of electric blue. My mother says I have my grandmothers eyes. I have seen my grandmothers eyes before. As much as our eyes our alike, hers are smaller and feline like. Hers almost appear...cold. Just at that thought I heard a prim and proper voice calling me.

"Isabella Meredeth Jenelle Glisten! I am waiting for my hug!" My grandmother called from downstairs.

My Grandma? She only visits twice a year.

Excitement surged through my veins. I ran out my door and thudded my way down the spiral stair case.

My grandmother was shockingly tall and stocky with gray, silky hair that was knotted into a neat bun.

Her wrinkles were buried deep into her face, but her smile was gentle.

"Isabella, you have grown so much!" She chirped, embracing me graciously.

"Gram! How was Florida?" I ask her pulling away from her tight hug.

"Fantastic, the weather was wonderful!" She said, sinking into our plush Velvet couch.

My older sister Mia walked in holding a pale blue tea cup.

Mia's bright blond fringe was in braids, framing her heart shaped face. She was beaming her wide smile and I noticed her big brown eyes were free of make up.

Her scoop neck fleece sweater hugged her every curve and she slyly winked at me, revealing a hint of suspicion.

"Thanks you Mia." My grandmother said, nodding elegantly at Mia.

My grandmother strung answers to her invasive question out of Mia and I.

I had noticed I was already late for school but didn't care, for once.

"Girls, we have a very important matter too discuss." Mia glanced at me, a flash of worry flashing across her pretty face. I furrowed my brow together, curious.

"Presents!" Grandma said, throwing her arms into the air. Mia and I broke out into a fit of giggles. I noticed my mother sitting near the fireplace, jealousy written over her face. My mother had to work two jobs ever since my father left us, I was at the tender age of three. She rarely gets the chance to hang out with us like this. She doesn't realize that we have every day to talk to her, Grandma only comes over every once and a while. My mothers already frail body was slumped over, making her look even more pixie like. Her ginger, frizzy curls were shoved into a top knot and her brown eyes were full of regret.