Silenced

The house was extremely quiet, except for the soft blaring that came from the bright screen of the T.V. I shifted my weight, my pupils dilating as I tried to keep control of my shaking body, my senses instantly sharpening as my pupils grew smaller. I ran a hand through my hair and let out a shaky laugh, I had never been as nervous as this on the first day of every month, never.

 “Austin, chill man. They'll feel a bit of pain at the beginning, and then they'll just drift off. You know how it goes; we’ve done this for our entire life. Well almost our entire life.” I glanced over to Jago who was crouched beside me, his dark hair shaved almost to the point where he was bald.

I shrugged and leaped from the top of the fence, landing silently on the wet grass that covered the small yard. Jago landed swiftly beside me and we crossed the yard in a matter of seconds, sliding silently into the house, the door opening without a single creak. We were flooded with the smell of butter and popcorn, and the quiet sounds of a movie playing from the living room. Jago looked at me, his pupils dilated to the point where I could just barely see them, his teeth long and sharp like a dogs. His skin was covered in black symbols, moving across his skin like snakes. I could hear his deep breathing, the way he tried to control himself. He wouldn’t last for very long.

A low hiss came from between my clenched teeth, coming out as a soft whistle. Jago’s pupils started to grow large again, and the monster he was seemed to fade away.

"You have control yourself. There are two of them here, I know you’re hungry but we need to be quiet,” I hissed in his ear and he gave me a slow nod.

“I’m going to go make some more popcorn. Don’t bother pausing the movie.” The girl’s voice came from the living room, her footsteps heading towards us. I jerked Jago to my side and into the shadows of the hallway, pinning him against the wall. My eyes glowed dangerously.

“Be quiet,” I hissed, and I could see him fighting to stay in control as the girl passed from one room and to the kitchen.

I was in the kitchen in a matter of seconds, standing silently behind the girl who would soon be dead. I stayed in control though, my hands shaking wildly behind my back. I had never killed a child, someone who was most probably my own age. The girl turned and blinked, staring at me for a few moments.

“Um..? Can I help you?” She asked, taking a step away from me. I leaped forward and grasped her wrist with one hand while covering her mouth with the other. Her eyes widened and she tried to scream, she tried to kick me and hurt me, but it didn’t do a thing.

I dragged her struggling body back towards Jago, but he was nowhere in sight. I swore quietly and continued down the hall, peeking in each room to find one of the bedrooms. The girl tried to bite me, and I whipped her around to face me, my pupils dilating. I couldn’t keep the monster I really was back. She tried to scream as the symbols travelled across my face, but it didn’t make it past my hand.

I turned the handle of a door, and to my luck it was one of the bedrooms. I shut the door quietly behind me, turning the lock. I let go of the thrashing girl and let her fall to the bed, leaving her scrambling back as far as she could.

“What do you want?” She sobbed, clutching the blankets to her chest. I was swift, and she didn’t expect it. I straddled her to the bed, and she sobbed even harder. I raised one of my hands, the heat drifting off of it like a sea lapping at the sandy shore. I pressed my palm to the girls mouth and she thrashed about, trying to scream.

Her body soon stopped moving, and her muffled sobs faded. I lifted my palm, the dark gray smoke pillowing up from the center of it. The girl’s head rolled to the side and I put my mouth above hers, her soul drifting from her very body and through her open mouth. She was dead within seconds. 

I had silenced another being.