The Blue Bell

Autumn had already begun, with the thudding sound of rain crashing the hard concrete just outside my shared apartment at Queens Hotel. Grey clouds clung to the sky, weighing over the Yorkshire Dales. I hate the way the grass tops dance and the way the now wet bronze leaves swirl in rings around the lifeless bench. The deserted bench was once midnight green but the rust took over and replaced its beauty. The dazzling rain came pouring over and out of the pipes. Watching patiently and waiting amazed at the strength of the rigid pipes, I sighed. The odour of the lavish rain disturbed peaceful nature. The change in nature’s atmosphere puzzled me. I had successfully completed three weeks of being trapped. Now why had Alice chosen this day to drag me out? While I waited I drifted into thoughts. I pictured Alice crying. I cut through the thoughts quickly. I promised I wouldn’t hurt Alice in anyway. I replaced Alice’s heartbreaking face with a stern one. Her words run in my thoughts as soon as her face appeared. Every word she said to me that day was stuck in my mind. She said in her sweet imaginative voice “Bella, you know you are like a volcano waiting to erupt and the only way to see the world clearly in your case is to erupt. But when you do erupt you might cause serious damage so be extremely careful” she giggled childishly at her own little joke.

Every second felt like an hour but by the time I slipped to the bathroom for a shower I heard Alice’s pounding on the door. I managed to make it to the bathroom door without slipping on the steamy tiles. I thought to myself as I pulled my black trouser suit on, she must have forgotten her keys again. She is never patient; her pounding never stops until she hears my footsteps hurtling on the squeaky floorboards. The door was ajar but I could her breathe furiously. She simply pushed the door open and made her way to the bathroom. I could see that her face twitched with anger. I left our bedroom for Alice to dress quickly. If I bother her with my daily complaining we will be late for our university interview.