Chapter One

Chapter one

           Mr. James, my psychology professor, is rambling on about the inner workings of the human brain, but I can't focus. I had another dream about him last night- I'm not really sure who this man is. In my dream he is walking too fast down a narrow trail or an old road of some sort. He is wearing a torn grey cloak and from behind the cloak goes to his ankles. Beneath the torn fabric his chest is bare, aside from a necklace that bangs a couple inches below his throat. His face is hidden under the faded grey hood of the cloak, but in the moonlight his eyes shine like silver reflectors on a bicycle.

    He doesn't seem to notice my presence but for some reason I feel like I need to stay hidden. After what seems like forever, we walk to an old abandoned cabin. He walks in where a front door used to be, but I'm too afraid to follow him, I stay but the collapsed porch and peak in through a small hole. I can't see anything but I can hear faint voices toward the rear of the old cabin.

"Master I've done all you have asked of me." A female says in a small voice.

"Good, and what of Joseph?" His voice is husky.

"He's working on it Master, but he's run into a bit of trouble sir, he..." Her voice trails off.

"Someone is listening, we cannot talk now."

         I can hear footsteps, they get louder until they enter the front room. The man is looking around the room looking for something or someone. He looks towards the hole I'm peaking through and sprints toward the door frame next to me I duck and his hands are on my shoulders.

             I'm torn away from my thoughts when Mr. James grabs my arm.

"I do not find day dreaming during my lectures acceptable Ms. Peck. I hope your ready for your final next week."

"I'm sorry Mr. James it won't happen again." I hadn't realized how consumed I was in my thoughts.

        When I got to the apartment Renee was posing in front of the mirror in a short black party dress it made her fire red hair stand out she looked amazing.

"Lilly!" Renee turned and beamed at me. "How do I look?"

"Great, but what's the occasion?" Her smile faded and she sighed.

"You forgot about the party already?" She poked her bottom lip out trying to look sad.

"Oh, I thought it was tomorrow night. I'm sorry, i'll go and hunt for something to wear." I gave her an apologetic smile and turned toward my bedroom.

"I've already later something out for you its one of my favorite dresses but you can have it." She gave me a "your welcome" smile and skipped off to her bedroom.

          I really don't want to go out anywhere tonight, I really need to study for finals. I'm also terrified at which dress she picked for me, Renee is the kind of girl who thinks that more skin showing is best.

              Looking myself over in the mirror on my door makes me nervous. I am more of a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, and this dress should count as lingerie. Its pale pink, far too low cut and shows much more of my legs than I'm used to. The matching stilettos make me about four inches taller, I'll be lucky to not break my ankles tonight. Now my hair, I have a natural curl to my hair but surprisingly it doesn't get frizzy, I'm naturally brunette but I started dying my hair blonde in the seventh grade. I decide to kink my hair a little with some mousse and just let it hand over my shoulders. Now makeup I've never really been big on I wear a bit of mascara and sometimes eyeliner to bring out my crystal blue eyes I think of my eyes as my best feature. Once I'm done putting on my mascara I double check myself I'm the mirror. This dress does fit pretty well, it hugs the curves I do have fairly well.