Betrayed

He's looking at her again.

     I can see Jesse's wondering eyes under his mask. He thinks I cannot, so he lets them stray to her red hair in the crowd. I look at her as well, hate in my eyes, adoration in his. The Summerian princess isn't laughing, but she's giving a tight lipped smile, the most amusement I've seen from her with anyone other than Jesse. Her Ventrallan mask weaves into her hair, blending with her curls, and I despise it. Is it only her beauty that he loves? I'm beautiful. He just refuses to appreciate it. I reach over a put my hand delicately on Jesse's arm. He flinches, but doesn't turn to look at me. I grip tighter, and still nothing. He's my husband, but he's saved himself for another. 

     Ceridwen is listening intently to the conversation around her, but still, she turns around to look at Jesse, seated beside me, every few moments. It's so obvious, it's nauseating. I simply cannot wait until she's sent back to Summer. Then this whole fiasco can be over with, and Jesse will be level-headed once again, if weak minded. But he always was that way, so it won't be too different. 

     All of a sudden, Jesse turns to me. Revulsion swells in me and I snatch my hand away, but force on a lovely smile for all watching, especially Ceridwen. I lean in close to Jesse and flick my eyes over to her spot in the crowd, and sure enough she is watching. Her eyes are bright behind her mask, jealous and hurt and confused; she wants to be angry but knows she has no right to be. She also knows I'm taunting her, but that's what makes it so much fun.

     "I need to go," Jesse whispers to me, fervently. 

     I feign a look of confusion and plop my hand back onto his forearm. "Oh? Where?"

     He sees through at once. "Not to her, Raelyn. I just need some air." With that, Jesse stands, shaking off my hand in doing so. I open my mouth to respond, but I catch her  looking over, and clamp it closed. She mustn't see him angry with me. And so, with great effort, I force a smile onto my face for all to see and for me to suffer. I've become accustomed to it. The fake smile hides even more than my intricate masks.