Chapter One

"Abby stop poking me!" I murmured as I shoved my sister away from my bed, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I rolled out of bed and turned off my horrid alarm clock. Late. Just fantastic.

"Dad left for a conference and Mom said you're stuck babysitting me again after school because she has client business," my younger sister babbled as she rushed downstairs in her mismatched socks. Whatever she said blurred in my head into inaudible nonsense

I stumbled into the bathroom, and ran the tap while I checked my phone; messages and missed calls demanded if I was at school and whether or not I was going to the party tonight. I took a moment to look up at my reflection and was shocked at the sight before me. My hair was matted, makeup was smudged all around my eyes, and reniments of either lipstick or a mystery cocktail remained around my mouth. In short, I looked terrible.

What happened last night, I wondered. Joanna had decided we should go to a nearby party, apparently, everyone was supposed to be there. God where was it? Whose house? Everything was still fuzzy. Was it Johnson? McGuire? Hashers, no that was last week. Herbers! Lilly and Christian Herbers, at least I think that was their name. Notifications and alarms notified me of my various feeds. Snapshots of half wasted teens, "memorable" posts and embarrassing screenshots brought the memories rushing back.

                                                                                        --------------------

We got there late partially due to traffic and due to Talia's driving. I remember wearing a simple black dress which was right for the occasion, and Melissa was worrying about her outfit and some ex named Chase who everyone knew. Cars surrounded the house while kids streamed in and out shouting across for each other. I hadn't noticed the pool until Conner Bates rushed to the front of the house, flinging the backyard door open, bare naked and soaked while some girl chased after him holding what I hoped weren't his shorts. I realised as we advanced closer to the door that I didn't know the Herbers at all, only seeing the girl here and there in the halls. I turned beside to face my friend Ryan but realised I had to keep a brisk pace to ask my question.

"Who are these people? I mean I think I've seen Lilly around. Short and high voice right?" I quickly asked as I tried to keep up on my heels. Ryan was a guy of few words and had been since I'd known him.

"They're from Washington and their parties are pretty sweet. Lilly's pretty short, cute though. Runs the newspaper or yearbook, something like that. Christian is the quarterback, you know, big guy. Sort of gruff likes blondes a lot," he replied.

We were greeted at the door with drinks instead of the typical beer, it was sangria, no surprise; a cocktail. I went to take a seat near the in-house bar and looked down at my glass as it was being refilled up by the machine. I had zoned out for a minute and then I noticed it was close to overflowing, so I decided to pull it out. I wondered how he looked, Christian. I'd never really seen him. Was he in my French class? No, probably my Physics, I gave up trying to figure out and looked around me instead. The house was really big and spacious; everyone was having fun on the huge dance floor. Something told me that the parents wouldn't care if their kid threw a party and had over a bunch of friends who would eventually be drunk.

So far the party was...fun. After a few cocktails later, we danced. The huge living room had been cleared of the furniture. I spun Melissa around when suddenly I felt a hand grip around my other arm. My first instinct was to punch the stranger in the face, hard. Looking up at the maniac, I instantly realized what a terrible mistake I had made.

"Oh God, Daniel, I'm so sorry. I didn't see you. Wait, Daniel? So sorry, but wh-"I began, but he brushed it off and lead me to some chairs. I repetitively apologized, yet, oddly he continued to brush it off. Typical Daniel.