1812

Bullets were shot, fires rampaged every building in sight and Evelyn could hear the screams of women and children, in fear of what's to come. She stood in the middle of the fight, frozen. She had been trained but it all seemed useless as she lived the confrontation. No hours of sweat and big burly men screaming at you could prepare you for the real thing.

"I was told you can do things, can you show me?"

"They say I'm a witch. They say I should be burned alive."

"Well, they don't know how to recognize a treasure then. That's what you are. I'm going to make you into America's most powerful weapon."

"Scarletflame! Follow your orders!" A voice she could recognize anywhere reached her eyes, snapping her out of her initial shock.

This is the right thing to do, She told herself. You're a soldier, act like it.

Putting up the protective barrier that came with her powers, she ran staright into enemy lines, succesfully taking out a few dozen at a time. Their bullets were dissipating into thin air once they got two feet away from her consequently making them fear her.

That fight only lasted a couple of hours at best, although many people had to fight long and hard to bury any evidence of Evelyn being involved, thankfully. She thought back at all the lives they had lost at sea and in the border, suddenly feeling guilty. If she had train harder, maybe she could've been there, she could've helped.

The war was over, the peace treaty signed and prisoners were coming back home, yet Evelyn felt miserable, guilty. She had no one to talk to, her superiors deemed it resonable to keep her hidden away, on the outskirts of New Orleans.

One night, a month after the war had ended, there was a knock on Evelyn's door. She let general William Hull in, knowing bad news were coming her way.

"I have tried my best." He sighed falling onto a chair. "I fought long and hard but I lost."

Evelyn was frozen, unsure of what the matter at hand was. She sat down, watched as the general took off his top hat.

"They're coming for you. In the morning." He said grimly. "I was never here. And by dawn, you shouldn't be either."

She watched him leave after placing a bag full of money on her table. She had been trained for this situation too. She knew what to do, where to go. There was a farm, miles away, expecting her. She would be some poor boy's fiancée and they would never find her.

She was now a fugitive.