Bucky

Evelyn, or rather Catherin after she changed her name again in the late 1930s, was packing up her things, ready to leave the diner she worked in. It was late but she didn't have to worry about her own safety.

Her heels clicked against the pavement as she made her way down the street, aware of the group of men drinking and laughing abnoxiously a few feet away from her.

Don't look at me, don't look at me.

"Hey, sweetheart!" One of them bellowed. "Where are you going? Join us."

"I'd rather not." She pulled her arm out from his grip only for him to grab the other arm. She took a deep breath, tuned out his cringe-worthy words. She needed to control her emotions before she revealed herself.

"Let me go!" She exclaimed as his hands wandered down her body.

Her words reached the ears of the young James Barnes, who was just walking back home after checking on his friends, Steve. He waisted no time in following the voice. 

"Didn't you hear her? Let her go." He spoke confidently although outnumbered.

Having had enough, Catherin landed a punch on her assaulter's stomach, finishing him off with an uppercut to the jaw. She moved onto the next guy, the alcohol flowing in her veins making it easier for her to knock him out cold.

In a matter of seconds, two men were down, the rest stumbling away into the night, and finally the man who hoped to help stood flabbergasted at the sight.

"Thanks for trying, but I didn't need your help." Catherin said, smoothing her coat.

"Clearly." He said. She started walking away when he asked," Let me at least walk you home, so that I don't feel completely useless tonight."

"Thank you for the offer, really." She smiled. "But I will get home just okay."

"No, please, I insist." He said, taking a couple of steps towards her. "I won't be able to rest if I didn't."

Catherine simply gave him a dry look and started walking again. She was in no mood of starting a conversation with the stranger that seemed too cocky for his own good.

"My name is James, but my friends call me Bucky." He said as he feel into step next to her.

"Alright James," she said clearly insinuating that she wasn't his friend nor did she want to be.

"Aren't you going to tel me yours?" Bucky asked, a playful tone in his voice.

Catherine sighed under her breath, picking up the pace to get home faster. "My mother taught me not to talk to strangers."

Bucky laughed, a musical happy laugh that made Catherine miss the joy that came with laughing. She couldn't remember the last time she smiled, much less laugh. "Well, will you give me the opportunity not to be a stranger?"

He was smooth with words, she had to admit that. But she's met plenty of men, all with kind words and million dollar smiles, and she taught herself to become immune, to protect herself.

She didn't answer him, shaking her head, seemingly annoyed. Thankfully she soon arrived at her doorstep, and she glanced at him unsure of what to say.

"Thank you for your unnecessary actions."

He chuckled, "Anytime."

With that
she went into her house, not glancing back at the charming man with the wide smile.