Day One

Cora Lennox
Day One of my Journey Through Autumn

I've arrived in the kingdom of Autumn. After crossing the Feni River, I travelled for days along the river through the Northern Eldridge Forest, skirting around the edge of Summer and finally entering Autumn.

I write now as I ride to the capital of Oktuber. Already I am in awe of the scenery of the kingdom.

This my first visit to a Season kingdom, and it is hard to comprehend that kingdoms could find themselves in these seasonal states for all eternity. As I rode down dirt paths, my eyes were as wide as full moons.

Trees bearing magnificently colored leaves are shedding constantly. All around me I see reds, oranges, and yellows. The air is crisp and clear, and in this morning air there is fog rising from the ground.

I reach the peripheries of Oktuber- I must speak to the guards. I will update later when I reach my temporary home.

~~~~~~~~

Oktuber is magnificent.

I will be spending my time in Autumn living in a tent (unusual, but I look forward to the new experience) on the outskirts of Oktuber.

There is a small barn and shelter for my chestnut horse. The tent itself is made of two areas- one is very large and includes a simple rug, table, and some pillows (no chairs). In the smaller area there is a small bed wrap (on the ground- it seems to be portable).

I write now as I walk down a dirt road to the inner city of Oktuber. My Autumnian neighbors, living in similar tents, seem kind. They wave to me as I leave to explore the city.

Autumnians themselves are lovely. Their skin is the color of the earth, and their dark hair matches their eyes, the color of the night sky. They seem nonchalant, but not in the way Summerians are known the be. They are at peace with their surroundings, calm-minded.

I've grown closer to the center of the city. All around me are wooden buildings and mainly tents. Marketplaces sell exquisite clothing and foods. I am drawing some attention- as Autumnians go through their business, they give me second glances. My Ventrallan looks stick out here- I hope to acquire some Autumnian clothes soon to blend in more.

Autumnian fashion has also proved to be a wonder- there are multiple layers to their outfits, acquiring for both the coolness that mornings bring but the warmer afternoons. Warm colors wrapped around in fabrics varying from light silk to thick wool, leather boots and headscarves, some even wear gems on their foreheads.

I've come to a food stand- I need to buy my dinner. After so many long days of traveling, I look forward to relaxing indoors and eating. The food here smells magnificent.

~~~~~~~~

For dinner I had a rice dish with unique spices and apple cider. Both tasted magnificent- strong flavors while still being rather pleasant. Now I sit outside my tent, watching the sun set.

The rays of the sun are gorgeous, illuminating the already colorful leaves. There's a chill to the air now- I'm wrapped up in my coat as I write.

Already I've seen so much, and it's only my first day exploring Autumn. I plan to walk through the nearby maple forests and even go out a little farther to some mountain ranges before my trip is over. I've brought my pains and cloth along- I hope to create some masterpieces during my time in Autumn.

I suppose I should explain the reason for my visit to the kingdom of Autumn.

I have come in search of artistic enlightenment. The past few months, I have been unable to paint landscapes and sew tapestries- my inspiration had diminished. The stress of the current situations of the kingdoms- trouble arising in both the Rhythm and Seasons- has proved too much. There are gray strands appearing in my hair!

As a child, living in a Rhythm season where we cycle through the seasons instead of remaining constant, autumn was always my favorite season. The leaves and scenery always reminded me of a perfect painting, and much of my work has included the colorful season.

So the idea came to me that perhaps all I needed was an extended period of time in my favorite environment.

My hope is that here, surrounded by lovely forests and scenery (as well as a new environment with new people and foods) will jumpstart my creativity.

Even in a kingdom facing difficulties- the lack of a female heir able to control the magic conduit of Autumn- I hope to find everything I'm looking for.

Farewell for tonight,
Cora Lennox